Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 40 phone was good to me tonight!

may be in trouble

ElevenBravo:40m hamstick dipole or 40m hamstick will tune 40m and down with an LDG Z-100. No need to buy multiple sticks. It wont however do 80m, it may do 10m. Ive only messed with 10m once.

Already done, in 40m, 20m and 6m. If I need 80, I'll get 80, not soon though.

I AM getting the much vaunted Z-100 Plus, being it is in the mail as we speak. Allegedly I could run this thing offa 8xAA batteries, or a set of alligator clips n one of my 18v drill packs.

Bacon saver

Soooo, what are you trying to run now? I've been running pretty hot on 20 and 40. VHF has been having a tuff time troposphere has been shit.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

What I'd LIKE is to be able to get onsite, not have the mast I worked on fall to bits, and start up proper, and be able to have something that would reach out and contact someone. I now have an antenna setup that will get me on 40m, but the only f'ing radio I have that will do the job is a base, not a mobile, and would not hold up to the manpacking part.

SO i get to settle for 10m and 6m. Fine, fine... all FM. The whole prep premise was to get as much all-mode gear as possible, 'cuz there's no telling what the other poor schlub on the other end has. that's part of me being (deep breath) PREPARED.

I've not been as able on that front as I would like.

$fourdigit 'shack-in-a-box' rigs, or any more internet-dependent stuff are also things I am unable to do. (gimme a break, I work at Walmart)

HAM was gonna be pricy; this was known the day I got my Tech. I get it.

What I have so far:

RIG______|.7M|2M|6MSSB|6MFM|10MSSB|10MFM|20MSSB|20MFM|40MSS B|40MFM||
    TM-241___|___|XX|_____|____|______|_____|______|_____|_______|____ _||
    HTX-10 __|___|__|_____|____|xxxxxx|xxxxx|______|_____|_______|_____||
    TYT-9800 |xxx|xx|_____|xxxx|______|xxxxx|______|_____|_______|_____||
    IC-735___|___|__|_____|____|xxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxx||

It doesn't show everything, just the ten bands I'm pretty sure of being most in use at this time by other preppers.

Last edited by Kesephist; 07-29-2016 at 12:48 PM.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    icom 706 "classic" would be on your short list, chech the used classifieds, i think qth classifides is the one i used a good bit.

on the hamsticks, i run the z100 to fine tune mine (dipole), and ive observed no difference in performance. over fine tuning the "stingrr".

as a matter of fact, i run my 40 hamstick dipole on 20 also, again, no real change in performance.

be it known, this setup is at best a compromise, it will never run as good as a 33 foot vertical... but, you will be on the air!!

EB

I'll most likely shit myself

I have an original I Com 706. Good rig, the only thing missing is 70cM. The 706 G model even has that.

Bacon saver

Ever thought about running a wire out the window? Granted you might be in an Apt. But hey, if you got a balcony slip that mickey out the porch, or maybe a Buddy pole? Just a thought, there are some great urban antenna ideas out there just depends on your situation, you've got a stack of radios. What's you situation, windows only, what's it look like what floor are you, give us some logistics and maybe we can make you a stealth base set up, eh?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

2 story apt complexes. Bottom floor. Have run the 10m dipole... indoors...yuck. The one position I Do have some stealth capability on is on the edge of the property, right by the R.O.W. of the complex's electrical service. Haven't tried it out, yet...

Got the LDG tuner, now all I need is a meter of M/M equipped 8X and a 9v battery in order to use it.

Update: M/M cable in the mails for the Aug. 9/10 skeds.
    Last edited by Kesephist; 07-31-2016 at 06:25 PM.