Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any woodworkers here?

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.

any woodworkers here?

anybody do woodworking, scroll sawing, spoon carving?

i do, did years ago and looking to get back into it. just thought a conversation might be in order.

i picked up some Birch to try my hand at spoon/kitchen utensil carving. it's sitting in the garage drying. debating on which knives too get Mora's 162, 163 or a set from Del at Deep Woods.

if made of wood, i can build it. i have access to a good sized shop with most of the tools needed. recently i have made feeder tops and winter bottoms for bee hives.

it's not like i don't have enough hobbies, i get bored easily.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

I used to do some... years ago too. Still have all my old knives and chisels around. Just not enough time in the day. Ironically enough, I just picked up a scroll saw off a local forum for free, a couple weeks back.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 11-27-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

i've had all the tools at one time. i 'grew up' and sold them all, when i went too work. never had the time, i was always gone of working somewhere. i am in the process of setting up a small deal in the garage. variable speed scroll, band saw, drill press etc. just to do some christmas ornaments and small shelves. nothing like sitting cutting wood. LOL

same here. i picked a Craftsman 16" variable speed scroll saw for $40. couldn't beat the price and it looked like it hadn't been used a lot.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

For the Love of Cats

I picked up a 220V 5' bed Wood Lathe about 3 years ago, and still haven't even set it up...
    lol

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

Fellow woodworker here!

Yes, I am a fellow practitioner of the dark art of wood working. I say dark art because there is a magic to it I just haven't got figured out yet. I can plane the board, get it square, everything measured just right, cut to perfection, everything true as can be, then but it all together and I'll be damned if one leg is shorter or something is off center, or some other thing. I go through 3-4 board stretchers every year. But I have been hooked since jr. High shop class. I have 2 shopsmiths I work off of, and the usual bandsaw and other things. I got back into it after I had to retire suddenly and found myself with nothing to do. I mostly make toys, but I also have a few people who contact me when they want something special made for them. If anyone is curious, you can find pictures on my Etsy site under the name of Giant Elf Toys.

For the Love of Cats

^ As the Newfie Carpenter says:
    "I cut the board once, and it too short. I cut the board again, and it still too short..."

I'll most likely shit myself

I used to do quite a bit, but times changed and other stuff got in the way, mostly work. I made some shadow box stuff for my moms and grandmas coolectables, bookcases, and some tables. Stepdad got really into it and made some killer old school pie safes. I learned tin punching thru that.
    I hope to get back into it down the road.

I build cabinets - mostly bookshelves for our collection of medical and scientific textbooks. Have a nice enough shop (now), one of these days I will build a 50x60 building divided into mechanical, woodworking, paint shops and a little storage room/office/bath and a glass making shop for my wife.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

One of my buddies builds pretty cool stuff with pallet wood and other salvaged wood. He built a table in his garage, and it was level. He finished it, and moved it inside, and it wasn't level. He took it to the garage, and strangely enough, it was level again. I guess nobody told him the garage floor is sloped toward the door. I laughed and laughed and laughed some more
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

not to yank my own chain. i was told by my mom 'you have a gift from God in your hands'. i can see it and build it. i like to make bigger things smaller, 30" shelf i will reduce down to 16". scale the thickness down accordingly. i am getting a LATE start, but wanting to do ornaments for Christmas.

i have looked at a Midi Lathe. in the running is Penn State, Delta and a China brand. but, there is a gut that has a full size Craftsman variable speed, w/quality tools and some other accessories for $200. thinking i want to save a few bucks and go bigger/used. still will have to get small turning tools to do what i am wanting to do.