Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new ride...

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day

Looking for a new ride...

... well a second vehicle really. The diesel only gets 13-14 mpg, so we looking for something a bit more economical. Here is a list of our criteria....

1. NON GMC/CHEVY! this is nonnegotiable.
    2. 4x4 is a MUST!
    3. better than 20 mpg highway. more is better.
    4. Pric around or below 5,000$.
    5. extend cab/4 door plz. need to be able to put 4 adults inside the cab area.
    6. truck or suv is fine here.

Wish the old dodge d50 made an extend cab.. =/

I am looking at Nissan xterras, and jeep liberty as possibles. also ford ranger or dodge Dakotas. There are other possibilities depending on price an bang for the buck.

Thoughts?

I'll most likely shit myself

Toyota Fore Runner comes to mind, same with a 4 door toy truck. A smaller model is the Rav 4.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    yeah been thinking along those lines also. Want something reliable as well. usually yotas are had to kill.

The only one I have killed (wife actually) was a 85 Corona. The tranny died at 350,000+.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I don't believe any of the nissans or toyotas will get above 20mpg. Maybe if you baby them, but getting a 4X4 above 20mpg is not very likely.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

You sure won't in a newer model. But for the $5000 limit the OP mentioned would put you in an older model. The older Toyotas had 22R 4 bangers and most of them would do 20+ in stock trim. Driving style will play into that as well.

For the Love of Cats

been running toy trucks for over 25 years... not known for mileage... REKNOWNED for longevity! I run my rides hard! and rarely, if ever have any issues other than consumables...

This week, I replaced tires, and will pick up parts tomorrow to do rear universal, hanger bearing, and lower ball joints...

I have 305000 km on the truck, and am still running EVERYTHING else original, including brakes and battery!

Out of my last five toys, I have over 2,000,000 km and counting (and one I wrote off at 300,000 and one I popped the engine at 300,000 due to a faulty oil pump)

I cannot extol the virtues of a toy truck enough... but mileage does not apply

kinda crowded for 4... but I have done 6 adults inside at times. (best if at least 3 are cute and cuddly!)
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 12-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Jetta TDI for economy, end of story.

No 4X4 meets your criteria, end of story.

Drop your MPG expectations and a slew of options become available.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Crotch Rocket

I love my Ranger, but I can tell you from my search and experience it gets no better mileage than a full size truck, jump seats are tight for adults, and (at least in this area) 5g is almost scraping the bottom of the barrel in condition. I had to wade through a lot of shit to find a good one and went over budget to do it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Do some searching on craigslist, I have also found that there are quite a few buy/sell/trade/barter forums popping up on facebook, although I belong to quite a few, as others have said, you have to wade thru some shit sometimes to get to the good stuff.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.