Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermal imaging

I have still yet to grow a brain
    ak474u, do you remember the pressure caner bombers? The last one hid under a tarp and in the cabin of a boat that wasn't even in the water. Yet the camera they were using showed where he was, what position he was in and the blood spurting as he was shoot. Granted it was within 100ft but still I would assume it would be the same tech on the satellite.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    One thing I always wondered, how deep does thermal penetrate under water? I know if you are on the top of the water, you show up on thermal, but if you dove underneath the water, I wonder how well it could detect you? How deep would you have to be? Would someone with just a snorkel and mask be good to go? Anyone?
    You would only see the temperature of the water, the same as if you are behind glass, only the temperature of the glass would be recorded, thermal gear cannot see through glass. for this reason, you can't use a magnifier in front of it like night vision. all you would get is the temperature of the lens.

SO, you cannot drive your car with a thermal monocular if you have a windshield!

But they make nice units that mount in the grill of the car and display units that go inside the vehicle if you have the money

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I did a radiant barrier install on the house of an engineer at L3, he swore that they had the technology to see what you do in your house from SPACE. Not sure if he overstated that, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.
    No, they don't. But that's ok because they just the information off your teenage daughter's facebook posts.

The limit with thermal is that it picks up the heat signature of the first object that is line of sight. So from space they would see the temperature of your roof.

There are other wavelengths that penetrate, but you have to have a reflected signal to read it, and the power requirements exceed what would typically be available on a satellite, so they would need to drive a van past your house to scan, or at least fly a large plane pretty close.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Stormfeather, if you were snorkeling under the water they could see your breath coming out of the snorkel, it would be warmer than the water.. Distance is the only unknown.

Premium Member
    Geospatial analysis, yes they can see into your house. I know someone very closely related to me, this is her domain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by greg48 View Post
    Geospatial analysis, yes they can see into your house. I know someone very closely related to me, this is her domain.
    What type of optics are they using to see through a roof? Sure isn't thermal!
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by greg48 View Post
    I am not saying it can't be done, just not from a satellite, the power requirements are large for the tech that can scan through walls. Without any specific information to the contrary, and with the knowledge of physics I have, I am going to say it can't be done from a satellite.

Geospatial analysis is not a technology, its a term to describe analysis techniques.

There is so much that can be done, for instance, with new smart meters and the network links, one can analyze your water flow and electricity/natural gas usage and probably know someone is in the shower. Of course the internet usage and cable boxes can say when someone is watching tv or internet.

Bottom line, there is some technology out there, but it isn't to look through your roof from space. No need for that in many cases, there are easier ways that don't stretch the laws of physics.

For the Love of Cats

They could tell that someone was using water, but could only surmise that you were in the shower. Running the dishwasher or washing machine or even washing your car could also be the culprits. Same as the cable box, just because the tv is on, doesn't mean you are watching it. It may be on a timer to give the illusion that someone is home.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.