Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal imaging

For the Love of Cats

Thermal imaging

I'm sure a few of you guys have played with em... how can you beat them? the old rub down with mud like Arnie in the original predator?

What about those space blankets, you know, the ones that are made out of tin foil? Would that work?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

A good set of thermal, I don't believe you can hide from it. The only thermal I have dealt with is the one that hangs on the front of the Apache attack helicopter, and there is no hiding from that one. Unless you are inside.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

Helo, if I make the trip, would you take me for a ride in one of those?

let me fire the guns?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I am not sure you can hide from the ultra high end thermal imaging gear, BUT... I can tell you, radiant barrier foil (think industrial grade space blanket) can obscure you from the $16000 camera is used inspecting insulation. I never got a chance to experiment outside of work, but if you were to make a tent or barrier out of it, you could obscure a heat signature. If you were covering a generator, or something with a plume of hot exhaust, it would give you away.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Helo, if I make the trip, would you take me for a ride in one of those?

let me fire the guns?
    I wish, I don't work on them any more, and they stopped letting us fly when they went to the fly by wire controls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I am not sure you can hide from the ultra high end thermal imaging gear, BUT... I can tell you, radiant barrier foil (think industrial grade space blanket) can obscure you from the $16000 camera is used inspecting insulation. I never got a chance to experiment outside of work, but if you were to make a tent or barrier out of it, you could obscure a heat signature. If you were covering a generator, or something with a plume of hot exhaust, it would give you away.
    It would hide you, but the blanket would still be visible to the thermal. The blanket will have a different heat signature than the surrounding area. The blanket would stand out like a sore thumb.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    One thing I always wondered, how deep does thermal penetrate under water? I know if you are on the top of the water, you show up on thermal, but if you dove underneath the water, I wonder how well it could detect you? How deep would you have to be? Would someone with just a snorkel and mask be good to go? Anyone?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

finally pooped
    i know that all the thermal imaging we use for fire fighting will not work on anything reflective. that's why space blankets work. they reflect the imaging to the surrounding area. never tried it on water. usually if there's water there's no fire. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Premium Member
    Sniper T, a few years back we were doing some training with our TOW II systems, we had some blankets, they were OD green, lined with tin foil, they were pretty good well made blankets. I had a couple guys wrap up in those blankets, actually it took 2 to cover head to toe, front to back, making sure every thing covered, thru the thermal sights on our TOW system all could be seen was a heat signature where the eyes are. True story. I still have one of those blankets in my packed ready to go ruck sack. I think if a person put on heavy goggles like welders use there would be NO heat signature. Now the new ITAS System on the TOW systems I have no idea about. I would say for most of the rifles out there with thermal sights, your heat signature wouldn't be visible. But like HELO says, those Apaches can see thru about anything. I am guessing the thermals on an M1 are similar. I retired in '09, technology keeps growing so fast, it's amazing.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg48 View Post
    Sniper T, a few years back we were doing some training with our TOW II systems, we had some blankets, they were OD green, lined with tin foil, they were pretty good well made blankets. I had a couple guys wrap up in those blankets, actually it took 2 to cover head to toe, front to back, making sure every thing covered, thru the thermal sights on our TOW system all could be seen was a heat signature where the eyes are. True story. I still have one of those blankets in my packed ready to go ruck sack. I think if a person put on heavy goggles like welders use there would be NO heat signature. Now the new ITAS System on the TOW systems I have no idea about. I would say for most of the rifles out there with thermal sights, your heat signature wouldn't be visible. But like HELO says, those Apaches can see thru about anything. I am guessing the thermals on an M1 are similar. I retired in '09, technology keeps growing so fast, it's amazing.
    I did a radiant barrier install on the house of an engineer at L3, he swore that they had the technology to see what you do in your house from SPACE. Not sure if he overstated that, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    One thing I always wondered, how deep does thermal penetrate under water? I know if you are on the top of the water, you show up on thermal, but if you dove underneath the water, I wonder how well it could detect you? How deep would you have to be? Would someone with just a snorkel and mask be good to go? Anyone?
    I would imagine with a snorkel you would still be seen. The SAR helos use thermal.