Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making pliers from wood

For the Love of Cats

making pliers from wood

Neat, but not sure of the capabilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RFEY--Gp1D8
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    OMG, he committed a sin hammering on the knife, or so the hardcore "bushhippies" would whine about...

Thats a nifty rainy day project to showcase your skills, but it only gives me minimum wow factor...

You want wow factor? How about THIS project.... AND the guy has all his fingers... still!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

meh... too small and 'woody' to eat...

besides the obvious ^... WoW!!!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Neat, but not sure of the capabilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RFEY--Gp1D8
    it was a cool video when i saw it. very talented man.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    OMG, he committed a sin hammering on the knife, or so the hardcore "bushhippies" would whine about...

Thats a nifty rainy day project to showcase your skills, but it only gives me minimum wow factor...

You want wow factor? How about THIS project.... AND the guy has all his fingers... still!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo
    EB, there is a difference between skill and talent. just saying. besides two very different skill sets. as far as 'batoning' that blade, he did it correctly, well should have used wood instead of a hammer.

"bushhippies" i might resemble that remark. LMAO!!!

wow factor? really? the one is just compound cutting on a bandsaw, only real impressive thing is he is doing it with speed. the other is doing it from one piece of wood. both are pretty impressive too me.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

CC Gray Panther
    Mooney Warther did the pliers as a novelty. His true craft was a master carver of locomotives of various ages to the most infinite detail.
    His museum is in Dover ; Ohio. I've been there 3 times in my 64 years . Latest was my 62nd. birthday as as surprise from daughter and wife. I got another pocket watch w/ locomotive etched on it as a gift.

Pull him up on internet and see how a man of very little education became a world renowned carver. Made his own carving tools and even made knives for kitchen use ; which is still made today.

His collection was valued as priceless and if you ever get the chance to view it you will be truly awe struck by the free- hand detail. But then I live 30 minutes away and can go whenever my soul needs a lift as to what one can do if they imagine and believe in it.

Eagle

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Hold on, the OP's video is in it's own right a proper display of skill. I may have derailed the OP's thread with my silly antics but I in now way was making a comparison.

On the sarcastic remark on batoning, it was not directed to the operator in the video.. but rather to make fun of the "Oh Noz, Never Baton" crowd.

Thats all, nothing else.. Matter of fact, forget I was here... :0
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Hold on, the OP's video is in it's own right a proper display of skill. I may have derailed the OP's thread with my silly antics but I in now way was making a comparison.

On the sarcastic remark on batoning, it was not directed to the operator in the video.. but rather to make fun of the "Oh Noz, Never Baton" crowd.

Thats all, nothing else.. Matter of fact, forget I was here... :0

EB, buddy... slow your roll. no need in getting all twisted up. i wasn't calling you out. see, sometimes i hate the interweb, we/you/i have no way of knowing 'how' something is said. i meant no ill will in what i said. some was tongue in cheek. sorry if i offended.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

And here I just thought it was cool and wanted to share, little did I realize the maelstorm that would ensue...

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    And here I just thought it was cool and wanted to share, little did I realize the maelstorm that would ensue...
    I think both videos are cool. Both have a very good skill set . The band saw guy still has me wondering how it's done. As sometimes happens humor doesn't translate well from one's mind to the key board.

David is Mooney's son and I don't think dad would have used a hammer either. Mooney was very peticular about his tools. I got to converse with him during a tour as a young man when he was still carving and he was a wealth of knowledge if you were interested in his craft.
    He always made time to speak to people there and gave them insights to his hobby and how it was done. If I remember right he started carving arond 2:45 in the A.M. for so many hours ; then a nap and back to carving a few more hours. The rest of the day was for family time and tours.

I'll most likely shit myself

Both guys were very impressive. The speed the bandsaw guy used was amazing. I would be popping blades left and right. The carver knows his shit to be that precise. The museum sounds like it's worth a visit.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 01-06-2015 at 11:34 PM.