Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizing into groups

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    For most of us groups are a necessary evil. As much as I'd like to say that it would be me and the MRS. against the world, that is not a likely survival scenario, as we would both need to sleep, and work to sustain. It is tough enough now maintaining the household, gardens, collecting and gathering, and that is with current conveniences like the quad and trailer. If I had to haul water by hand to service all of my garden plots, it would become an all day affair at least a couple times a week.

It's quick and easy now to throw a nutricious meal on the table, but cooking over a fire, not so quick, then heating water for dishes, washing, etc; will all take exponentially more time than currently. Granted, if SHTF I wouldn't be going to work every day, but little things now that take very little time will be drawn out much longer. ie. I can whip up a garden box in a few minutes with my table saw and cordless drill, but handsaws and screwdrivers or hammer and nails, all take longer.

So what does all this mean? Unless I want to be busting my butt all day to maintain the homestead, while also on guard duty, and then stay up all night on guard duty... I don't have much choice but to have additional people to help share the work.

So, it is easy to say 'friends and family' But my nearest close family(on my side) is 1500 km away; and while I do have some distant cousins and stuff nearer, I have no contact with them. (my choice). Friends? I have a solid few who would come together if the situation dictated it, but a bunch of others who quite honestly would not be welcome. Sure they're fine now for watching the fights, or having a beer, but their skill set ends with their ability to process food into waste.

So, there comes the tough question... walk ups, either acquaintences or strangers... Who to accept, and when to trust...

That's a toughie, I'd like to think I have a pretty good read of people and would rely heavily on that to start, but then their actions and usefulness would determine whether they stand guard duty alone, or with someone trusted, and whether or not they would even be given or allowed to have a gun.
    Just remember ya'll are always welcome in the Tn group if you need to move on from where you are.
    I apologize for nothing...

I know right from the start that I wouldn't, strike that, couldn't be me and the mrs against the world. She doesn't have the fortitude to do the things that need to be done. The down and dirty things. But as a part of a group, she'd be a valuable asset. Her obsessive nature would allow her to organize and keep on top of everything that needs to be done, giving way for the select few in our circle to carry out those tasks.

I have a small knit group, 5 or so, that I can trust to come together in serious times of need. A couple are serious, and the others are weekend warriors. For the most part we are the only ones that we would be able to rely on. As for walk ups, strangers, and newer acquaintances, there probably wouldn't be too much wiggle room in bringing them aboard. My group has discussed this ad nauseum, and the general consensus is that we would have associates to trade and barter with (labour, skills, craft, etc) in a mutually beneficial manner, but unless you've been in the shit together, you can never really know another person (no offence to those with military backgrounds... Not being military myself I do not mean to misrepresent myself in the manner of being. I speak more of underground, nefarious experience).

Having MAGs of MAGS however might not be out of the question...over time (mutual assistance groups of mutual assistance groups), but until that time comes, everyone else is at an arms length at best

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Groups... well, I like sleep.. a lot, and I cant pull security 24X7 all by my damn self so yeah, Id like to be around a few extra trigger slappers and hard headed Constitutionalists.

My standards are pretty low... either have military background, or be willing to come up to standards PDQ. Not necessary to bring a new skill, but at least have something to bring to the table.

The more the better, but with a cap.... too many people and you loose C&C (unless they are all self disciplined). Cant be lazy and dont be a mouse. Be willing to follow orders, and to give orders. Dont let the pop of a round over your head freeze you up, move toward the battle with aggression... but not without any care to self preservation. Be ready to retreat and run like hell, its usually better to fight another day rather than die hard headed and outnumbered. Be ready to study the guerrilla tactics book from front to back... toe to toe fighting like a "real unit" does requires resources we dont have (medevac, support, supplies, logistics, intel, etc. etc... etc....).

Have some gear, esp snivel gear. I dont want to be on watch with someone moaning about the cold & wet all night.

Bring an AK, plenty of mags and ammo.. and something to carry the mags in.

Bring some radios, shoot move and communicate dont work too good without the communicate part.

If your not shooting, moving or communicating... you should be taking cover and reloading. Or running like hell.

Be willing to be a good student, and a good teacher.

Check your ego at your duffel bag. Real world SHTF aint got room for Rambo.

The list is, endless.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Great breakdown EB!

I especially like the references to "take and give" orders. Even if someone's skillset is tanning hides and making clothing, they should be able to instruct others to do so. The only place for a mouse is as cat-bait!

A problem I do have is in the communication. so many models, so many frequencies... Not everyone can possibly have a setup to match yours!

You suggest a 'cap' on numbers... do you have a set figure in mind? What if you're at that cap, and a military medic shows up? do you extend it? What about a dentist, or a surgeon, or a jack of all trades handyman... with their spouce and three kids in tow?

??
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Coms, IMHO MURS is the shit. VHF travels a lot better in wooded terrain. Plus its not near as common as GMRS or FRS, so all the punk ass wanna be "preppers" that have a $30 pair of 50 mile radios from Wally wont be on your freq.

Some inexpensive offerings can be had on ebay. In addition the VX-170 and IC-V8 can be modded to cover MURS.

Being in anticipation I may need more people and a group have some kind of comms, I buy a radio every year so I have some hand outs. Id need a few, dont have the number nailed down, but since my group is only 3 and a dog right now, 3 radios is plenty.

Cap on number... good question. Follow your gut and take it a member at a time. Im pretty sure you will wake up one day and realize when your cap is met. If you only have food for 40, why expand to 60... unless they can make contributions to make up the difference (farming, hunting, etc..).

Also once a number gets too big, its hard to hide. Its easier for a 6 man LURP team to hide than a battalion sized element.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    ...but since my group is only 3 and a dog right now, 3 radios is plenty...
    EB
    sounds like you're neglecting your daughter! assuming of course the third talkie is with the hound...

lol

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Me Wife Daughter Dog, dog doesnt get comms.
    "AR - America's Rifle"

For the Love of Cats

he may as well be a cat... aka food...

With just me, the wife, and a young son, I know we could not do it alone. We live in a rural area (rapidly becoming developed ), have 6 acres and are already running a decent garden and fruit trees, chickens, and a fish pond. No way to keep it secure or funtional on our own. Even the neighbors on the next door piece of land worry me, considering they already treespass to poach deer in my back woods.

We have invited a some select folks to join up. Lots of room in the house, plus the barn and other structures that could quickly be made into accomodations. The invited are close friends and some family. They are all people we feel we can trust. My best friend since childhood and his wife, both are doctors, niece and her fiance- a surgical Physicial assistant and dentist, A good long term friend from work whos wife knows farming and hes really good with fix it stuff, and a buddy whos a LEO, with a few of his closest friends, Sister in law and her 2 kids, plus my good neighbor across the road. If they all make it, we should be set.
    The problem will be other friends that know I grow food, or suspect I am prepared, that will shown up to the gate wanting to come in and join. Time to put on the heartless act if I can and turn them away. I have told some folks its like a lifeboat, and theres only enough food and water for some of us, not all of us, so the need to get their own lifeboat.

Where's the epi?

As I read these posts I notice most all are what you are looking for qualities that are for the men and jobs you expect men to have to contribute but no one has addressed the females. I'm wondering what your expectations are for the females in the group? Just courious to see what the guys view on this is.
    I apologize for nothing...