Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is why I prepare....

Here is why I prepare....

This could have gone under 'food and water' but I figured it was more prep centred than water.

Last evening (Tuesday) my city, Winnipeg, was put on a boil water advisory due to water test results from Monday showing bacterial contamination, including E. Coli. Secondary tests were to be conducted today to confirm or show a false positive. As of this posting no updates nor how long this could last.

The announcement was made while I was at work. We shut down our drinking water for the staff and had a few supervisors rush out to purchase bottled water for a staff of 100. Needless to say when they got to the big box stores the shelves were almost bare. Luckily we were able to grab a last pallet before they were out. All across the city there was a rush and stores were emptied of their water products.

half of my staff asked to leave so they can try to find water, of course it was granted. The look of worry crossed almost everyone's face once they realized if this was a drawn out affair they were screwed. When asked why I was calm, I simply replied that I had someone at home taking care of things and getting water for us.

That wasn't the reason though. I was calm because I know I am good for months in regards to water. With xx number of 5 gallon water jugs stored in my basement, and at least 20 - 4 litre juice jugs of pre-boiled tap water frozen in my shed, our family of 5 and 4 pets were all set to whether this out.

I simply called home and gave instructions to my son. He gathered some of the frozen jugs from the shed to thaw for pet water, boiled two large stock pots of water for insurance, got out the water purification tabs as backup, and pulled out one of MANY bleach jugs to sanitize the water for dishes.

My wife called me from out of town on a business trip because she heard the news and was concerned. I explained that everything was taken care of and that the family (furthest people from preppers and prepping) were advised of what needed to be done. She was calmed now... And thanked me for doing the things I do, she thanked me for my foresight, and thanked me for taking care of the family when they refused to take care of themselves.

That my friends is why we prep. Today, tomorrow, and the next may we all stay safe.

I'll most likely shit myself

Excellent post and exactly on point. Hope things get cleared up quick.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Thanks for reminding us all to keep on track. And I had already purchased a 5 gal jug of water this morning, and will pickup some more next week. I prep not for the zombie appox, but for this very reason...ok, a little for the zombie part.

For the Love of Cats

Considering I live within skipping distance from CS... this meant nothing to me. I love living rural with my own well! It was interesting hearing updates from our purchasing dept at work trying to procure water for 100 people at work. Sold out?, ok... sold out, ok... sold out?, ok...
    people were selling on kijiji, case of 35 bottles (pint) for $50. (goes for $4.00 at Costco normally)
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    I would be making a ton of money if that were the case and something like that happened down where I live. I have my own personal large set-up still, 2 solar evaporators, 5 gallon buckets for sediment filters, and enough supplies to make 4 or 5 more stills if needed to. That was one of the first things I did when we moved to the island.

With as much as we move there aren't many things that we can take with us because of the weight limits but all of this fits neatly into a 55 gal drum that weighs about 300lbs and only cost me about $250 to make. The most expensive part was the heat resistant condensing hose and the boiling drum, but I could have gone cheaper if I really needed to.

Food storage is still kind of an issue with bugs and humidity but for basics I could survive on the 5 gallon buckets of beans and rice I have stored for almost a month. Also have plenty of multivitamins to ensure we aren't having any deficits in nutrition.

Not trying to brag, but with the new additions we had to our family this past year I wasn't taking ANY chances about being on this damn island. If something were to happen to your food sources and water locally all of you could just drive someplace. Being down here, if something happened to the bridges and water pipeline everyone here would be fucked.

For the Love of Cats

have you posted pics of your water system?... if not, you should!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    I'll have to wait till i heal but I'll do that. it's about time to get it out and check it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Great post. Prepping comes in handy for more than just the end of the world. How many times have we encountered some situation where our preps have helped while others around us struggle. For me it’s usually hurricanes, but even summer thunderstorms taking out the power for a few hours. It’s nice to be able to keep on functioning.
    A few years ago my well casing collapsed, and we had to get a new well. in the days between losing our water and getting new water, we did just fine with our stocks, and the two 250gallon rain collectors mounted 8 feet above ground really helped by providing water through a hose to keep the toilets flushing. That single event is what made my wife see the value in prepping.
    This also serves as a good reminder of what a real long term emergency might be like. If water disappears in hours and people get panicked, how much worse will it be when something big happens?

Crotch Rocket

I'm not gonna say too much because you're doing what we do, CS

But...

Doesn't it feel good knowing you have not only yourself set, but the capability to help others when you choose, how you choose?

james - I too will be looking forward to seeing your setup, when you're able.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

And the crisis is over... Announced as a false positive! Time to watch kijiji for deals on water filters, and bottled water as the sheeple go back to 'status quo'...