Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laundry Soap Recipe To Save You a Metric Asston of $$$

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Well that was an epic fail. Stopped by the WW on the way home and all they had was borex. I even asked the lady in that section and she looked at me like I was crazy, and even more so when I explained what they were for." This whole aisle is laundry soap, just buy one"

Will try Target tomorrow...
    DUMBASSES! i swear. the world is full of them... ST try a hardware store, if nothing else. i am sure they will have it. if not, i will send you a 'care package'.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

A laugh a minute
    This is the starter kit that I use.

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-l...etergent-soap/

Then I add 1 cup baking soda, and 1 jar of the Oxy-clean, Small jar, and my favorite scented Purex Crystals for a softener. Also after I grate my bar soap (Fels-Naptha only) I put it in a blender to make it more finer. Mix it altogether, and use 2 TSP for each load. store in any air tight container.

I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    If you are making this recipe into a liquid detergent and you have a favorite scented brand, after the batch is made and before you seperate into smaller containers, you can add a bottle of that brand I to the container and mix it in. The scent will be weaker, but will still be there. You can do the same with a favorite powdered mix if making a dry mix recipe.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    If you are making this recipe into a liquid detergent and you have a favorite scented brand, after the batch is made and before you seperate into smaller containers, you can add a bottle of that brand I to the container and mix it in. The scent will be weaker, but will still be there. You can do the same with a favorite powdered mix if making a dry mix recipe.
    I have pretty much been doing it this way for Wifey for the last 5 years or so. I make it 1/2 bar any soap but usually Fals Naptha, 1/2 cup Washing Soda, 1/4 cup Borateem and a small bottle of cheap liquid detergent (for smell and color) in a 5 gallon bucket. Then fill bucket up with water. Just use it straight.
    We tried home made fabric softener but it was not very good. Dishwasher detergent was a bust too.
    Im going to try to make some bath soap in the near future.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

For the Love of Cats

Bump...

How has everyone been making out with this???

I happened to be in the detergent Aisle on the way home yesterday, and noticed that they had everything I needed so with a slight substitution of this:

instead of the Fels, I should be good to go. Going to pick up a new bucket on the way home for a fresh start (and so my soap doesn't smell like relish from a diner bucket.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I have used different kinds of bar soap and the results are always pretty much the same. Every time I make a new batch I try a different brand of bar soap just to see if I like it better. I just acquired some Sodium tripoly Phosphate that I am going to incorp into the next batch.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Homemade soap no brainer. Save $$$ to spend on other things you need.

Like i posted before, I have been doing this for years. I think one reason they use Fels is because it doesn't seem to produce as much soap bubbles as others, but I'm not sure. I have used Ivory soap before, and it worked just fine, although more soap bubbles. The bubbles don't do anything to help make your cloths any cleaner, soap companies have just brain washed us to make us think more bubbles means better cleaning. More soap suds/bubbles just makes it harder to fully rinse out the clothes. With the newer models of front loading washers, they require a low sudsing detergents so they can be rinsed better. They use less water for the washing and the rinse cycle. This is why they are called more efficient...using less water.

For the Love of Cats

I have a 25+ yo top load that rarely ever gets anything but a full load. But maybe I should make a 1/2 batch first time around and make sure it's going to work ok with the sunlight...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

That's up to you, and probably a good decision. But I think not because it won't work, but you may prefer to 'tweak' the recipe. I'm sure you have looked a lot on line, some call for 1/2 a cup of a product, while others say to use only 1/4 cup, and others 3/4 cup. I dont think there is a wrong way to make it...within reason, just a way YOU would prefer to make it. And remember you can make it liquid or powder form too. I prefer liquid, as I have had powders get trapped in a pocket or some such and not dissolve...just my preference.