Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency! Graphic image

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Wow...that's some ingrown toenail. This is way beyond my pay grade. If it happened to me, assuming we are in total SHTF senerio, I might use the last 9mm bullet in my Glock, and apply it to my temple. So I asked Mrs. Domeguy, a nurse. First off would be 911, but if we are way beyond that, she suggests,
    1. Irrigate the wound with clean water. 2. Check for arterial bleeding, and if so, apply tourniquet, and may apply one anyway if excess bleeding. 3. Clean out any foreign objects, and any bone chips and other bad stuff. 4. Wrap tightly in clean gauze, and apply a splint. She suggests not suturing at this time due to two factors. A) Healing starts from the inside and works it's way to the outside. The wound might need to be packed with antibiotic soaked gauze and re-wrapped every day or so. B) you don't want it sutured if there is an infection, as the entire wound could become a puss filled bomb waiting to explode. 5. Keep it elevated, with complete bed rest for a month or so. All of this is assuming there is no other medical help around.

finally pooped
    Domeguy,
    did your wife mention the type of sutures? As I understand it, there are 2 separate kinds, deep tissue and surface. I was referring to deep tissue sutures which is why I specified the dissolving sutures. I was just of the thought that doing the sutures would cut down on the healing time dramatically, preserve some of the muscle and bone, and encourage it to heal in the proper manner.

ie, I chose to sacrifice the big toe due to the fact that a large chunk of the bone appeared to be on the inboard side while the metatarsal was still outboard and what looked like a small sliver was at the base of the injury. To me that would mean the ligatures and tendons allowing movement and use of the toe are already gone and the bone is dramatically compromised. That puts me in the thought that the toe is already a lost cause and no natural healing will happen without some encouragement to put things back in the right place.

Not trying to argue just facilitating discussion.

On the other hand I didn't even think about checking for compromised arteries due to the lack of blood in the picture. I would assume this is after they have cleaned the wound already so unless I saw a rhythmic push of blood I wouldn't have thought about arteries and applying a tourniquet or pressure points to staunch bleeding.

Also, in a SHTF, no help ever scenario, what would she suggest using as antibiotic gauze to apply daily? That would seem to consume a lot of supplies unless you could reproduce your own. Silver impregnated gauze is what I have been told to use lately for large wound closure and daily dressing. (home health care for personal injury) Would using a gauze soaked in that colloidal silver I mentioned be much the same?

I would love to hear a rebuttal to anything from anyone. My personal experience is very limited as far as drastic measures go. I can only respond with what I have read and tried to understand.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    Dissolving suture material, saline wash, painkillers, anesthetic, and antibiotics are all VERY hard to accumulate on civilian side, especially in large quantities.
    what area are you in? military? i am a civilian and have access to all of it. maybe your not looking in the right places? not calling you out, just saying...
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

finally pooped
    By all means, if you have a source of supply for the things I mentioned please let me know.

Coast Guard, and also in Key West where there is a ton of nothing but bars.

Online is my only option for obtaining things down here usually. Most of the things I mention require you to have a medical license to acquire or if looking on the vet side, a prescription.

I'm not saying that when I have an infection I can't get meds. I am saying that advanced things such as anesthetics and non-OTC painkillers are almost impossible to find legally.

MODs not in anyway am i doing nor condoning any illegal activities...

sources are my military buddies, nurses and for scripted meds, my doctor. i can ask and 'if' i have a need, i can obtain a 90 day supply. anybody should be able to do that? you can't?

other sources would be Ebay, medical supply sites? i have ordered from both with no issues or hassles.

being the not so legal part is, giving them to someone else. but in the above stated scenario, i highly doubt it's going to matter much where the meds come from.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

finally pooped
    I am not trying to argue points or even argue in general. I am trying to see the exact sources you would site for obtaining each of the things I mentioned.

So where would I go finding a general anesthetic available to everyone?

Where would I find local anesthetic even beyond creams and gels? Such a inject-able lidocaine? The picture I posted has the gentleman's foot cut in half almost. I don't think a couple 500mg Motrin is going to "cut it".

Saline wash is simple, just large quantities of plain eye drops. I get that.

I could go to a medical site and buy a box of dissolving sutures, standard box with no frills of dissolvable sutures 12pk at 36in is almost $250 for nearly any given type. I will give you that one but that one is not simply cost prohibitive, half the sites that sell them require a medical license. Non-dissolving could be something as simple as monofilament fishing line soaked in alcohol though.

Antibiotics are simple enough as any pet store or amazon has them.

But amassing any drug at all beyond the antibiotics is legally dangerous seeing as possessing anything over 300 pills could label you with intent to distribute drug charge if it is a controlled.

I am asking for completely legal and ethical means of obtaining them now to be prepared without getting a felony.

Yes I could go Medieval on it and just give him a belt to bite until he blacks out from the pain of my cutting on his foot.

Or we could just treat him like the dumb horse he is for injuring himself like this and do like DOMEGUY said and tell him to eat a bullet. I'm a stubborn individual though and I refuse to take those as answers unless I have to.

DOMEGUY said he would consider himself dead. I refuse to call someone dead till they're cold and dead, and even after that I don't have to like it.

She said antibiotic soaked would be best, but in out scenario, we don't have the best. She said to use dry clean gauze, soaked in saline solution, and change daily. As the wound would slowly heal, it would pull out the dead tissue as it was changed. It also might need irrigating with saline,and maybe, SLIGHT cleansing to remove dead tissue. Keep warped, rinse and repeat. This is what she did when I had a slight mishap with a pressure washer last summer. Of course nothing near this accident. This is after surgery, after the packing was removed. So I'm thinking something, but on a larger scale.[IMG][/IMG]
    And after looking again at the picture, she would suggest amputation to about where you can see the bone, as she thinks it would most likely die off and cause more complications. And change your name to Gimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    I am not trying to argue points or even argue in general. I am trying to see the exact sources you would site for obtaining each of the things I mentioned.
    i thought i answered the question you asked? see below...

"sources are my military buddies, nurses and for scripted meds, my doctor. i can ask and 'if' i have a need, i can obtain a 90 day supply. anybody should be able to do that? you can't? "

not to sound rude, as for my exact sources. your not. as far as what i have listed here, is what you got.

i think the problem here is your wanting to preform surgery on this gentleman's foot. in a SHTF scenario, your not, plain and simple.

finally pooped
    Domeguy- Ick, that looks nasty. Lets keep you away from power tools. The saline sounds like more of a doable solution to me without sucking up all the resources and yeah then I think we agreed on where to amputate the big toe.

Rob-I think we are having a breakdown in communication and that's where the issue lies. To save any major function in his foot would require surgery in my opinion and without some of the things I have listed it wouldn't happen.

SHTF I want to be prepared for everything I might encounter. Do I plan on doing an appendectomy on someone? Hell no but trying to fix this guy's fucked up foot, sure. If surgery is what is required then I would do my best. You said about as much of the same in your post but without the specifics.

You simply stated that you had easy access to get everything listed there and I think you mean you would acquire them through those people being in your group after SHTF? If so then that was my misunderstanding.

I took it to mean that you had access to get them now easily through some retailer or friendly doctor. Yes there are people I would call on that I might be able to get these things after SHTF but as of right now I make do with what I can get and hope that I have what I need if something like this happens.

My definition of SHTF isn't that things turn off for a year or two then everything goes back to normal. Mine is that I don't plan on it ever coming back if it goes. EMP, Depression, Korean invasion, what have you.

Originally Posted by jamesneuen
    i thought i answered the question you asked? see below...

"sources are my military buddies, nurses and for scripted meds, my doctor. i can ask and 'if' i have a need, i can obtain a 90 day supply. anybody should be able to do that? you can't? "

not to sound rude, as for my exact sources. your not. as far as what i have listed here, is what you got.

i think the problem here is your wanting to preform surgery on this gentleman's foot. in a SHTF scenario, your not, plain and simple.

I'm a bit confused. Are you talking theoretically in a SHTF scenario, or in real life? I go to a pain clinic every month, and can only get a 1 month supply of heavy duty pain killers. Any thing more that a 30 day supply would end me up in jail as a dealer. If you can get any extra through buddy's and such, that that is greats or you, but the rest of us can't do it