Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoon Carving and other Wood Stuff

I'll most likely shit myself

Seems like everything goes in cycles, at least for me. Or time constraints. I used to wood work a lot, but anymore seems like just when I have to.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Seems like everything goes in cycles, at least for me. Or time constraints. I used to wood work a lot, but anymore seems like just when I have to.
    i know, i used to be that way also. always chasing that $. but, now that i am medically retired, i have all the free time 3 men could use up. the down side is i broker than a crackhead scrounging around... LOL i manage to do things a little at a time and in the big scheme of things it's all that matters.

there other thing i have trouble with is settling on 2-3 hobbies... NO, i need 8 different things going at once. the upside too that is, if i get bored i always have something to do.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    i know, i used to be that way also. always chasing that $. but, now that i am medically retired, i have all the free time 3 men could use up. the down side is i broker than a crackhead scrounging around... LOL i manage to do things a little at a time and in the big scheme of things it's all that matters.

there other thing i have trouble with is settling on 2-3 hobbies... NO, i need 8 different things going at once. the upside too that is, if i get bored i always have something to do.

Wait a minute...you stole my life...this is my EXACT situation...are you sure you are not me and I am not you?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    Wait a minute...you stole my life...this is my EXACT situation...are you sure you are not me and I am not you?????????
    no, sir! how long have you been retired? (just a round a bout date, is fine) that's funny though.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

3 1/2 yrs ago at the age of 50 while studying to get my electrician liscence, I had had enough of the pain I had been suffering in my neck and back. I had just been taking pain pills and muscle relaxers like candy just to make it through the day for 25 yrs. It got so bad I finally went to see a neurosurgeon, and to make a short story long, I was on the OR table the next day. They took out 3 discs and routed around with the bone drill and files, and fused my neck, and told me to come back when I couldn't stand the pain in my lower back and they would do the same for it. I went back to work after 4 months off and was only able to make it five weeks before I decided I had to retire of quit. I had 20 yrs with the company, so they declared me a fall risk and sent me home. So now I am medically retired also with nothing to do but putter around the house. For the first yr, I didn't do much but get pissed at the world, which didn't get me to far. The second yr I got into astronomy. I kind of over did it on Ebay....see picture[IMG][/IMG]

Some I bought just to get a better scope, some I bought just to get a lens, tripod, or some goodie on it, then resell it. But after almost a yr, my neck just wouldn't let me get into the positions needed, so I started selling them off and kept one. That's when I decided to get back into woodworking again. I loved it in shop class in the 8th & 9th grade. So I bought a used Shopsmith on Ebay, then more parts to go with it, got a second mini Shopsmith, found many things were just too low, (I'm 6'3") which was hurting my neck and back. So again to make a short story longer, I have made many modifications to my shop/dome garage to fit my needs. You otta see it. Most everyone would not be able to reach my tools, such as my bandsaw, the work plate is over 5 ft off of the ground, but I don't have to bend my neck. I started making toys for my grandson, then started selling some on Etsy and Ebay, and now it seems I have a small business pulling in over a million penny's a decade. So that's my story, so stop impersonating me.
    Last edited by Domeguy; 03-13-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    3 1/2 yrs ago, while studying to get my electrician liscence, I had had enough of the pain I had been suffering in my neck and back. I had just been taking pain pills and muscle relaxers like candy just to make it through the day for 25 yrs. It got so bad I finally went to see a neurosurgeon, and to make a short story long, I was on the OR table the next day. They took out 3 discs and routed around with the bone drill and files, and fused my neck, and told me to come back when I couldn't stand the pain in my lower back and they would do the same for it. I went back to work after 4 months off and was only able to make it five weeks before I decided I had to retire of quit. I had 20 yrs with the company, so they declared me a fall risk and sent me home. So now I am medically retired also with nothing to do but putter around the house. For the first yr, I didn't do much but get pissed at the world, which didn't get me to far. The second yr I got into astronomy. I kind of over did it on Ebay....see picture[IMG][/IMG]

Some I bought just to get a better scope, some I bought just to get a lens, tripod, or some goodie on it, then resell it. But after almost a yr, my neck just wouldn't let me get into the positions needed, so I started selling them off and kept one. That's when I decided to get back into woodworking again. I loved it in shop class in the 8th & 9th grade. So I bought a used Shopsmith on Ebay, then more parts to go with it, got a second mini Shopsmith, found many things were just too low, (I'm 6'3") which was hurting my neck and back. So again to make a short story longer, I have made many modifications to my shop/dome garage to fit my needs. You otta see it. Most everyone would not be able to reach my tools, such as my bandsaw, the work plate is over 5 ft off of the ground, but I don't have to bend my neck. I started making toys for my grandson, then started selling some on Etsy and Ebay, and now it seems I have a small business pulling in over a million penny's a decade. So that's my story, so stop impersonating me.
    I like high work benches. It's nice to have your work up high. Sounds like your business has you well on your way to being Americas newest thousandaire.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

LOL DG. mine is a little different. i already had my Journeyman's License and was working. i thought i had a summer chest cold and long story short it was determined that i have CHF - Congestive Heart Failure, Diabetes w/ Renal Complications, Hypothyroidism and High BP, i knew about the BP. i was sick first, damn it... all joking aside, i wish i weren't. i have good days and BAD DAYS! here lately they seem to be fairly good.

i haven't gotten around to the selling part, yet. i would like to get back into do scroll saw things. i did it back in the early 90's. i have won a contest or 2 and have been published in a catalog. i entered and won a contest for The Winfield Collection.

Well, that just plain sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, but nowadays, with the strides in medical technology, you never know what's around the corner. You may very well see the day when Obamas kids are president. Lucky you!

LOL... i doubt it... i have had the discussion with my Dr. and it's a 'quality' of life thing for me. i could possibly get the conditions 'fixed' (for lack of a better word) but they can't give me better than 30% survival rate. so i will live/deal with what i have. i am still mobile and doing things. i am good with it. i don't mean to sound morbid about the subject, it's just life.

Wait a minute....something here just isn't right. You claim to be a wood carver...but I can prove you to be a fake. I have evidence to prove so......I call your attention to the above pictures of your work space. They are clean, neat and tidy. Everything is put away where it belongs with nothing in the floor to trip over. Therefore I submit this evidence to prove my point
    I wish my shop looked like this.