Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Spoon Carving and other Wood Stuff

I'll most likely shit myself

Hate to tell you, but that ain't enough dirt to bother sweeping up. I expected oh maybe 10 times that much!��
    Last edited by bacpacker; 03-16-2015 at 01:31 AM.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    [QUOTE=robsdak;80449]here DG, BP is a 'dirty' pictures for you.

Robsdak, I like looking at your dirty pictures, but I.......no, wait a minute, that doesn't sound right..how shall I rephrase this....how about this way, I enjoyed looking at your dirty pictures, but where are the 13 tools that you have just gotten out to use as a hammer because you can't find you hammer, because it under the rather large pile of scrap lumber that is always in the way due to the fact you are waiting for it to dry out after you spilled your drink all over it as you tripped over the vacuum hose that fell down when you tripped over the shovel that fell down after you tripped over the cat that just jumped of of the other pile of lumber that was stacked so perfectly balanced before the cat jumped on it trying to get out of the way of the third pile of scrap lumber that has fallen down due to the one piece that was sticking out that you didn't see because you were trying to do 13 things at the same time because your forgot to take your ADD medicine this morning because you were out in the shop late last night trying to find the damn hammer...or is that just me?

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    thanks... i am thinking it's just you buddy... "everything has a place and there is a place for everything" copy and print this out for your shop, put one on the fridge, bathroom mirror (your side only!). it will make a difference. i promise...
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

[QUOTE=Domeguy;80462]
    Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    here DG, BP is a 'dirty' pictures for you.

Robsdak, I like looking at your dirty pictures, but I.......no, wait a minute, that doesn't sound right..how shall I rephrase this....how about this way, I enjoyed looking at your dirty pictures, but where are the 13 tools that you have just gotten out to use as a hammer because you can't find you hammer, because it under the rather large pile of scrap lumber that is always in the way due to the fact you are waiting for it to dry out after you spilled your drink all over it as you tripped over the vacuum hose that fell down when you tripped over the shovel that fell down after you tripped over the cat that just jumped of of the other pile of lumber that was stacked so perfectly balanced before the cat jumped on it trying to get out of the way of the third pile of scrap lumber that has fallen down due to the one piece that was sticking out that you didn't see because you were trying to do 13 things at the same time because your forgot to take your ADD medicine this morning because you were out in the shop late last night trying to find the damn hammer...or is that just me?
    Exactly
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

DG, It isn't just you.
    Rob, that place for everything and everything in its place is great in planning, but when the space runs out from all the shit you have, things tend to go vertical. And every tool I need is on the bottom.
    Actually mine is not horrible, but it could be much better. Labeling would do wonders for me, but I'm to damn cheap to by a labeler.

I totally agree with you Robsdak,but with having my left arm useless since Christmas morning, the shop has been a catch all. And when the doc released me, I have been so busy trying to catch up. I just got the bank trucks out, when I got a custom order for 2 shop vans that are mostly all hand worked, with sliding doors and roll up door in the back,( which is driving me crazy) then I have to get three pieces done by Wednesday for a judging to get into a craft store. Then I have together 6-10 small cars together to be ready to take to the car dealerships, THEN, maybe I can get the chance to put away a few things, but first I have got to find that damn hammer. So much for a hobby.
    But at least in theory, I totally agree with you.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    This is a circular picture of the shop right now I took while waiting for the glue to dry. But I promise after we get back from a short vacation in about 2 weeks, I have got to get this place clean. The rats are about to give me an eviction notice.

Did I spy one, or two Shopsmith's in those photo's? Looks like one set up vertical for drilling, the other horizontal for saw work.

I like those things. My dad has one that's twenty plus years old. For the most part has had zero problems. I think his power switch died and that was an easy fix. If your space is limited they work real well. Their scroll saws are pretty good and the horizontal boring is a nice feature for assembling large multi board panels. They aren't a substitute for high quality individual machines by any stretch but they are great machines for what they are.

That's a good eye you got there boss. After the astronomy phase, I decided to get back into woodworking. I bought a used one off of Ebay, and bought a few accessories. After my wife saw I was going to stick with it,I was allowed to get a few more things. After I decided to try and make a little money off of these machines, I decided to get a mini, which I use mainly for the router and the sander, and it keep the big one for the sawing and drilling. It has worked out pretty well for me in this setup..this way,I have more time to focus on keeping the shop kept up...NOT.

Making the custom toys I make, I am constantly going back and forth from the bandsaw to the sander. Changing from bandsaw to sander to bandsaw to sander to bandsaw...was driving me crazy ad taking a lot of my time. I sold the bandsaw and bought the mini stand with the motor for a good price, and it has paid for itself in the amount of time saved. I would highly recommend a used Shopsmith to someone who wanted a small workshop in a small space. And even in the middle of this trash dump, I was able to create 2 of these custom built stepvan for a customer who wanted a replica of their mobile photo shop. They are not finished as I am still waiting to hear how they want the interior finished. The exteriors are going to be professionally painted., I still have to put on the bumpers, lights and such.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] have to put

Nice work DG. The stand alone power units for the shop smith are nice and save a boat load of time with change overs.