Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoon Carving and other Wood Stuff

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.

Spoon Carving and other Wood Stuff

i started a new thread not to Hijack Domeguys thread.

like i said in an earlier post. i have been wanting to get set-up in the garage for sometime, but life seems to have it's own plan at times. anyway after building a suitable bench, 24" x 8' x 3'4" @ 33 1/2" off the floor, to mount a bench top band saw, 1" x 30" belt sander and a drill press. the scroll saw has it's own stand. i ran a couple sticks of 1/2" emt, pulled some wire and made up some receptacles, hung a light and i am in business. i will post pictures of the bench and recps, if you guys are interested. i decided i need a chopping block to do rough shaping. there was one out in the yard left over from a fire a couple months back, i mortised in 3 legs and secured with 5" lags, for stability.

here is what i have done in just an hour or so this evening. i started on a different spoon. in the pictures are the tools i used. this is the blank i am using.

this is my best buddy, Belle. funny how a dog thinks the sun sets and rises in their owner. i have 2, Belle is the one that has to be near me at all times. she is a Kemmer Cur as best as i can tell. she was a rescue puppy. i have had her since she was 'about' 5-6 wks old. she was found wandering next to a road in the middle of nowhere.

this is my Tinker.

"Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Thinks it might be German

Love seeing stuff like this! Wish I had the time and talent.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by slowz1k View Post
    Love seeing stuff like this! Wish I had the time and talent.
    thank you.

this isn't me, i heard it somewhere and it has always stuck in my head. 'time is what you find, when you want to do things you want to do and talent is when you can just do something'.

if you guys are interested, once i get through Spring, there will be more stuff that i do.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

For the Love of Cats

looking good. I for one would like to see the bench set up.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Me too!

finally pooped
    Spoon looks good but can you hang it on your nose?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    Spoon looks good but can you hang it on your nose?!!!
    LOL there's a smart-ass in every crowd. you could if i varnished it!

this is just the first one i have done. don't know what it will be used for or if? it's a user for sure. i have some oil finish that is food safe.

even though it looks all dainty, it's pretty strong. think teaspoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    looking good. I for one would like to see the bench set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Me too!
    note: bad pictures tonight. not a clue as to why, maybe camera is dying. this is all a work in progress! still deciding what i want to make/build/cut/sand. this is just a place to do it.

my Muse.

this is looking right to left. Craftsman Contractor Series 20" Variable Speed Scroll Saw (old C Arm, 1996 model) and a Delta 13" Drill Press. there is also my Milwaukee M12 Drill and Impact. you can also see where i came from the panel with a 1/2" LB to 1/2" EMT to the first recp. behind the scroll saw and then to the quad recp above the bench.

this is the middle of the bench. the quad recp has 2 circuits in it. 1 is lighting, so when tools are running there is no flicker on start up and the other is power. all the recps. are wired together, reason being no one tool is pulling enough to hurt anything. the conduit running up the wall is for lighting, using fluorescent lighting with plugs. reason behind this, when i leave i use the breakers in the panel as switches/disconnects and it turns everything OFF! going to add a second light over the bench. there is also a 1x30" Harbor Freight Sander. it's worth the money, i have had the same thing made by Delta and it was LOUD, rattled and was hard to track. this one was cheap and is quiet, besides it tracks straight.

this one you can see the Craftsman 12"? Variable Speed Band Saw and where the conduit ends. the chopping block is shown with the legs attached

the bench is simple enough. 3/4" B/C ply and 2x4's attached to the wall in the back with legs to the floor in the front. it's built like a wall/floor in a house, 16" OC and screwed together with 3-1/2"deck screws and the top is down with 2" deck screws. oh, and it's all glued with Gorilla Wood Glue. built strong enough that i can sit a transmission on it and have no worries of it breaking. mot that i plan on doing it.
    Last edited by robsdak; 03-12-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: telling my story... it takes time. :)

I'll most likely shit myself

Not bad bro! Nice area to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Not bad bro! Nice area to work in.
    thanks. it's just 1 side of a 2 car garage. it's a work in progress. i don't need to have the bigger saws, i have a buddy that i have built him a shop, really, that has all the bigger saws. i built the 'shed' 22 yrs ago and since he got into bees, he needed or so he thought he needed to build bee boxes. so we set about filling the place with tools. everything you'd need, thickness planer, two 10" belt drive saws, jointer, floor model drill press, air tools out the wahzoo, dust collection, air run through out the building, big band saw, miter saw. i can mill the pieces i need at his place and have 'small wood' here.

mine is for when i can't sleep and want something to do in the wee hours of the morning. i could go over to his place, but that would mean getting dressed and driving 15 min. easier to bum around here.

i have a fly tying set up in my bedroom if i think about it one day, i will snap a pic or 3 and post up. i was real big into it for like a month. then it sorta waned off. now it's a glorified junk catcher.