Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spoon Carving and other Wood Stuff

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Nice work DG. The stand alone power units for the shop smith are nice and save a boat load of time with change overs.
    ditto. that's what i try to do, with tools. have separate tools for different jobs.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Thank you. Not having much space, working in my 26' dome circle, was made even smaller by having to have certain things against the wall such as a freezer, work bench, shelves, etc. and having to leave space for the overhead door entrance and regular door made the space even smaller. I wonder if a guy ever decided they had too big of a shop? But looking back I wish I had built a bigger garage. I bought the Shopsmith exactly because you can do almost anything in woodworking you need to get done in a small area. I belong to a local woodworking club, and it have found about 1/2 of them have an old Shopsmith in the corner they have deligated to a single use. The only problem is when you are doing a project and need to fine tune it. It is a major pain in the ass to swap tools every 3 minutes. I did upgrade to have the larger saw table which has helped, and made it safer. The mini is not a stand alone moter, but is like the regular shopsmith, but smaller and doesn't have the ability to tilt to make a drill press. But if I already have one that does, I don't need it to. I use the mini mostly as a belt sander. The band saw from shopsmith was OK, but I much prefer to have it as a stand alone machine. I wish I had the room for a good table saw, but that will happen another day when I build a larger shop someday, all run from solar power.

i always wanted a Shopsmith. never got the opportunity to use one. just looked neat. your space is small? i am using 1/2 of a 2 car garage. might be the same size? i don't need all that much room for the things i do. i have a friends shop i can go cut the bigger stuff to size, then if i need i have another that has a full blown cabinet shop i can use anytime.

too big of a shop? blasphemy! if the resources where there, i'd have a 50' x 75' w/spray room and wood storage. all the tools i could ever use. all stand alone tools.

i am looking at getting a Midi Lathe. i want to do Turned Christmas Ornaments. we will see.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

[IMG][/IMG]I'm sure you already know that a Shopsmith also has a built in lathe potential. Keep an eye out on ebay, I've seen some sell very cheaply. The only thing is they are usually a pick up item only, and to make it cheap, it needs to be in your area.
    I've been wanting to use the lathe more, but the toys are keeping me too busy. I was just ask to join the local craft association store today, so I have to now make more things to take to them...so much for a relaxing hobby.
    I found this one on ebay for $350 as a pickup in St. John's, Fl
    Last edited by Domeguy; 03-19-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added picture

nice. i like that. here's the rub, i am still paying for the surgery i had in Oct. last year. any big purchases i make will have to be after it's paid for. St' Johns is about 5 hrs from me. not a bad deal. the ones around here are selling for $800 - $1200 on Craigslist.

For the Love of Cats

paying for surgery... Well We may have to wait.... but at least all of our med-anything... is paid for! Zero cost!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

That is what we thought Hillarycare and Obamscare were support to do for us. I thought it was a bad idea when Prisident Clinton, Hillary not Bill, proposed it in the 80's, but I thought I would wait and hear what they had to offer. It's all gone down the crapper since then. I think our health care is worse now because of it. When we lived in England,( although we never used it being American Military family), we had relatives who visited. My Uncle had to go to the emergency room for some reason. Even though he had insurance, they would not take it. It was all free, mind you this was back in 1969. Things might have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    paying for surgery... Well We may have to wait.... but at least all of our med-anything... is paid for! Zero cost!
    it's just my part after insurance. no thank you on ZERO COST! then 'they' can tell me when, what and where i can have operated on.

I finally found my attempt at wood carving. My wife had put it on a shelf thinking I was done with it. It still has a long way to go. I went to a wood carving meeting in early January for the first time. They set me up with the bark which was cut in half and reglued with white glue and a piece of paper. They told me when I was ready to separate it to just put a few drops of water on the top and it would come apart really easy. I have about drowned the thing and I still can't get it apart. And if you can't tell what it us, it's a castle.
    LOL[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

i haven't gotten around to the selling part, yet. i would like to get back into do scroll saw things. i did it back in the early 90's. i have won a contest or 2 and have been published in a catalog. i entered and won a contest for The Winfield Collection.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any pictures of the things you have done, and if so, please share with us. I would love to see them.