Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired drugs

three part series specifically concerning expired medicines by Dr Cynthia Koelker MD (Armageddon Medicine)

http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=517

Administrator

Pain killers last a while. When the need arises I'm taking "expired" Voltarin and Flexril from 4 years ago and it still does the job.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    I hate to be the bad news bear but

Certain drugs over time lose their effectiveness.

Other drugs will become toxic.

I researched Fish Mox / Amoxicillan
    The old Amoxicillin will not hurt you, but is probably too old to be as effective as it should be

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/6658432#

And another quote.

A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.
    A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.
    You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with.

So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision.
    I agree with this in most situations, but in a SHTF I will be happy to have some old medicines around. Way better odds than not having any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    Why do they last longer? Lack of moisture in air? Might be a stupid question but there are only a few drugs I know of that need to be kept cold for shelf life and a few that should NEVER be except for desired effects.
    Because it is a cool, dark, environment.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I agree with this in most situations, but in a SHTF I will be happy to have some old medicines around. Way better odds than not having any.

- - - Updated - - -
    Bingo!!! yep I fully concur!

I'm a horrible pill person. For anything, including antibiotics. typically I take them just long enough for the black streaks running up my limb from the injury start to recede, and then I let my body's own immune system clear it out.

I bought a crapload of fish-mox in 2012, and have not filled a prescription for anything else since!

Fish-mox rocks!!!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I agree medication for SHTF is a benefit but it is better to have the background information lack of info can kill.

"So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision."

Fish Mox Forte is the adult dosage

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We have printed out directions to each one. Listing why to take each one.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I looked on ebay and they have it in 250mg and 500mg. What dosage would an adult take, not suggesting an adult would do so, because suggesting that might be illegal?

finally pooped
    875mg x2 daily for mild infections. knocks even the worst stuff out in a day or two. I know that isn't an option. Just reading it off a script I got a few months ago for a sore throat/upper respiratory infection. Even though it says to finish all the meds, the doc told me to stop 2 days after I started feeling better.

- - - Updated - - -

*disclaimer*
    I am in no way am encouraging anyone to take any antibiotic not intended for human consumption. Possible side effects may include, slight gill growth, sudden attraction to quadrupeds of all kinds, and/or unresistable urge to chase your own car.

For the Love of Cats

I know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew me and would swear that I took single 500 ml doses twice a day during a nasty hand gash infection and was more than happy with the results. Not that I would condone this type of heresy!!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

One of the biggest problems that you would encounter with the self diagnosing and administration of medications is the fact that you can't really guarantee you are treating an illness with the correct medication. Aside from that, medications as stated earlier lose potency, and some can become toxic over time. Some medications are prescribed on a basis of weight, and that should also be taken into consideration. Some medications have very narrow therapeutic ranges as well that can vary person to person. It would be ill advised, and irresponsible to do anything like this without a decent understanding of physiology, pharmacology, and other training / knowledge. Fidel, MD might be able to shed more light on this as well.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.