Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in northern Alaska just got easier.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Major pats on the back and Attaboys to you for that. But I'm sure most of the hours were spent going to the "Great White North Feline Hospital", where they specialize in the care of under privileged kittens.

For the Love of Cats

that was about 1/2 of my efforts.... they provided the meat for the hospital cafeterias. Hospital food never got so many rave reviews!

the cat-chetorie, was the most popular dish!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Yes, that is a great dish!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    that was about 1/2 of my efforts.... they provided the meat for the hospital cafeterias. Hospital food never got so many rave reviews!

the cat-chetorie, was the most popular dish!
    Yes, that is a great dish. I have had the feline chefs prepare that for me before down here. I just happen to have a picture of Chef Puss-Puss (I think he is French, and therefore has trained in European cooking) from the last time we ate there.
    [IMG][/IMG
    They were featuring a fish dish that night as I remember. Oh...is this one of the chefs you gave so much help to one of those days? I see there was a lot of snow, and also see why you felt the pull of your heart to help!
    [IMG][/IMG]

finally pooped
    So, I don't even plan on building my house in an extreme climate but I was still looking into doing a super-insulated home. I was also looking at, Earth Cooling tubes to make it cooler during the 90 degree days in the summer. All I would need is a small solar panel to make the needed positive air pressure at the beginning of the system via a fan.

I put a lot of planning and such into how to position the house, plant trees around it, place windows, overhang angles for winter sunlight use and a rocket mass heater to keep it warm on the coldest days. The wife calls me a bit crazy for it but I want to be able to survive without gas, electricity, or food from outside sources for the most part. Homesteading is what a lot of people call it these days but the amish have been doing it for ages just as a way of life.

The more time I spend looking the more I realize how easily we could survive without any outside help by just preparing ourselves properly. The only reason to hold a job would be to pay for the house and land till it's paid off.

When I built our dome, I had 6 in. of sprayed foam in the entire dome shell. It really has helped with the energy bills. My electric bill is half of what a house half of this size uses.

finally pooped
    That spray foam is nice but it's EXPENSIVE!! The house designs I looked at use a "false" wall that is spaced a foot in from the real one. Then you fill inbetween with loose fill cellulose and do the same thing on the ceiling. The only major design differences I saw were that you have to access the attic from outside the house, no recessed lighting fixtures, an insulated slab and I would have to pile more than a foot in the ceiling so that I could refill the walls as they compact down a bit.

It seems to me you could still get into an attic if you just built a box between the false ceiling and the real one and don't fill it with the insulation. I would think you could also have recessed lights also. It might be a local code thing, but don't recessed lights normally sit in an attic floor and have insulation around them? Just wondering.
    Sprayed in foam was expensive, but over a few years for me, it paid
    for itself. Since the dome is like living in an attic, ie there isn't a ceiling, spray insulation was pretty much the only way to insulate without having to put roof vents in the side of the dome for ventilation for the insulation. To me, vents meant leaks.
    I once saw on TV a super insulated house, which had 2 feet of insulation everywhere, and they could raise the temperature in the whole house just by lighting one candle.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    That spray foam is nice but it's EXPENSIVE!! The house designs I looked at use a "false" wall that is spaced a foot in from the real one. Then you fill inbetween with loose fill cellulose and do the same thing on the ceiling. The only major design differences I saw were that you have to access the attic from outside the house, no recessed lighting fixtures, an insulated slab and I would have to pile more than a foot in the ceiling so that I could refill the walls as they compact down a bit.
    Spider from johns manville is a moist blown fiberglass that won't settle like cellulose does, and doesn't have any of the nasty chemicals like cellulose does. Remember cellulose is newspaper, and it has to be treated for fire resistance.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

finally pooped
    I figured cellulose wasn't the best option but it's only the "tree hugger" sites that have tons of info on them. I would consult with a builder before doing anything. Just to make sure it's up to code and won't fall apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

I know of two other "tree hugger" insulations. Just after I had mine done, I heard of a spray foam that is made from a type of beans if I remember correctly, and the other is like regular pink insulation made from recycled blue jeans...no fiberglass to stick in your arms.