So, I don't even plan on building my house in an extreme climate but I was still looking into doing a super-insulated home. I was also looking at, Earth Cooling tubes to make it cooler during the 90 degree days in the summer. All I would need is a small solar panel to make the needed positive air pressure at the beginning of the system via a fan.

I put a lot of planning and such into how to position the house, plant trees around it, place windows, overhang angles for winter sunlight use and a rocket mass heater to keep it warm on the coldest days. The wife calls me a bit crazy for it but I want to be able to survive without gas, electricity, or food from outside sources for the most part. Homesteading is what a lot of people call it these days but the amish have been doing it for ages just as a way of life.

The more time I spend looking the more I realize how easily we could survive without any outside help by just preparing ourselves properly. The only reason to hold a job would be to pay for the house and land till it's paid off.