Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dehydrated foods

For the Love of Cats

made a big batch of deer jerky yesterday. 14 trays worth.

1/2 a dozen different flavours.

One thing I did different this time is I diced up and added fresh hot peppers, onion and/or garlic into the ground meat in addition to whatever other seasonings.

Another thing different, was that instead of using the sausage stuffer, I stuffed the casings by hand. I won't do this again, as it didn't pack as tight, and made slicing difficult.

After the casings were stuffed (2-1/2" dia x ~15" LG) I hung them for 2 days to allow the flavours to blend, and then smoked them for 4 hours with a variety of Maple, Apple and Mesquite. hung for another 12 hours and then dehydrated for 8 hours at 115F.

Overall... quite happy with the results.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 12-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Also on coming under dehydrated foods, I will report on our process of dehydrating peppers.

Like many others out here on the far left coast we like Mexican food. We had a LARGE family dinner Christmas night a one of my bro-in-laws, a Mexican potluck. I made a large batch of pozole and for condiment toppings two things I took were my home dried cayenne chili powder (very hot) and my dried jalapeno rings. Both were eagerly consumed though many stayed away from the cayenne powder. My plants are still producing chilis so I think I will process some more this week., now that I know they will work and others find them enjoyable.

Our fruit trees this year have given an abundance of fruit. I have dried peaches and was quite happy with the results, though perhaps I got them a bit too dry and they are slightly crunchy.

My favorite fruit, apricots, had a different result. I pitted, split, treated with citric acid per the instructions that came with our unit and dried them at 135 degrees for about 16 hours. They seemed a little dark, and felt a bit "wet" when I removed the trays from the dehydrator. They tasted good and I snacked on a few for a few days, then bagged them up. Today I noticed they were all growing mold.

So, what did I do wrong to ruin many pounds of delicious fruit?

I'll most likely shit myself

Didn't dry them enough.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I dehydrate the weeds that are growing in the Aquaponics system in the basement. Weeds are Parsley and Oregano those plants are just taking over as is the Celery. Got about a pound of dried Parsley and 1/2 pound of Oregano. It has been about 1 month now since the last harvest and the herbs in the 1 gallon baggies show no sign of mold. Good so far.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

a trick to dehydrating dry dry dry.. is run it through normal, but them just let it sit for a day. It will absorb a little ambient moisture, and then dry for another day. It seems to work better, as when you let it 'rest', any deep internal moisture wicks out, and the second run, clears it out better.
    imo

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    made a big batch of deer jerky yesterday. 14 trays worth.

1/2 a dozen different flavours.

One thing I did different this time is I diced up and added fresh hot peppers, onion and/or garlic into the ground meat in addition to whatever other seasonings.

Another thing different, was that instead of using the sausage stuffer, I stuffed the casings by hand. I won't do this again, as it didn't pack as tight, and made slicing difficult.

After the casings were stuffed (2-1/2" dia x ~15" LG) I hung them for 2 days to allow the flavours to blend, and then smoked them for 4 hours with a variety of Maple, Apple and Mesquite. hung for another 12 hours and then dehydrated for 8 hours at 115F.

Overall... quite happy with the results.
    Question: starting at 2 1/2" x 15" what did it shrink down to after smoking and dehydrating?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

I smoked them whole, like any other sausage... but then used my meat slicer and sliced them into 1/4" discs for dehydrating.

Since the primary moisture was out from the smoking stage, the discs only lost about a 1/16" from dehydrating. made nice chewy chunks.

Next time I am going to get larger casings (think Salami)

Bacon saver

I'm getting smelevision...............mmmmmmm, yummy!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

Overall, which fruit has the broadest vitamin content that will survive dehydration? Getting a dehydrator is looking to be my next major purchase. Being way behind in the Game, to get even partly done will require careful choosing, and would appreciate the resources here to do so.

K