Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrated foods

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Overall, which fruit has the broadest vitamin content that will survive dehydration? Getting a dehydrator is looking to be my next major purchase. Being way behind in the Game, to get even partly done will require careful choosing, and would appreciate the resources here to do so.

K
    There are other ways of dehydrating other than electricity, but the air of your current geographic local might leave a bit of a carbon monoxide foot print in your mouth.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

I cannot say enough good things about my american harvest... love it!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    There are other ways of dehydrating other than electricity, but the air of your current geographic local might leave a bit of a carbon monoxide foot print in your mouth.
    Understood. Native Americans made jerky by cutting meat into thin strips and hanging it on racks , usually with smoky fires around to keep away flies. Im minded of an old episode of GOOD EATS on the (defunct?) Food Network
    where a box fan, bungee cords , furnace filters and paper towels were used to dry jerky. Done outdoors in the vegas climes, and jerky could be had in 12 hours or so.

But the 'how' isn't the question, it's a matter of 'what'. I'd like to know what fruits or vegetables dehydrate with the least loss of vitamins and minerals.

Walking on Sunshine

Alton is coming back with new episodes of Good Eats I think sometime Aug/Sept.

Bacon saver

Alton?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

Alton Brown... host of GOOD EATS and if memory serves, also one of the judges for IRON CHEF AMERICA.

I DID dig up the episode about jerky via the good offices of youtube.

The box fan dehydrator lashup is an under $30 rig and thus most appealing now... but aside from salt, I disagree with spicing the hell out of jerky. And while the rationale for using flank steak for jerky was sound, I'm minded to be using what cuts are leanest both in fat and $.

But that is just me, trying to play catchup on a shoestring, with that scythe-carrying old fart giggling his ass off over in the corner.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Kesephist,

The story changes a bit on which is the best but here is the first info release

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ed-fruits.html

- - - Updated - - -

https://authoritynutrition.com/dried-fruit-good-or-bad/
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    This has some good info to read

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1562
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    a trick to dehydrating dry dry dry.. is run it through normal, but them just let it sit for a day. It will absorb a little ambient moisture, and then dry for another day. It seems to work better, as when you let it 'rest', any deep internal moisture wicks out, and the second run, clears it out better.
    imo

Sensible... puts meaning into references of "triple baked biscuits" as a journey food, back when.

Anyone done strawberries? My wife has to have her strawberry plot but it is too small to get enough to can or make into jelly/jam at any one time. I am thinking that those days when there are only about 8 or 10 ready to pick, I could just slice 'em up and toss onto a try of the dehydrator.