Thread: Learn!

For the Love of Cats

That's good info fidel, but it lends itself to a given that isn't mentioned.... A tourniquet can and will save a life... but only if there is adequate medical facilities to follow. A tourniquet, will most likely result in loss of limb, and although that may save a life with medical support, will most likely result in death otherwise.

Again, 1/2 doz of one, 6 of another. death is death. not saying a tampon would've sufficed, nor a tourniquet, nor pressure with elevation.

That said, I have tied up people, strapped, taped, and squeezed. To each end, there is a reason, and a necessity!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

That whole tourniquets = loss of limb thing is way, way overstated and quite out of date. Very, very old information. Tourniquets are routinely left on for hours, if needed.

And if you need a tourniquet, you need one right freaking NOW, or you will be dead in about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    That whole tourniquets = loss of limb thing is way, way overstated and quite out of date. Very, very old information. Tourniquets are routinely left on for hours, if needed.

And if you need a tourniquet, you need one right freaking NOW, or you will be dead in about 5 minutes.
    This is spot on. TQ's don't cause a limb loss. Read the current TCCC guidelines for more info.

This is the link to all the NAEMT CoTCCC guidelines. One can download all the appropriate info here.

https://www.naemt.org/education/TCCC...nes_curriculum

A quality TQ - CAT or SOFT-W gen 2, should be in the 1st line of your gear as well as 1 in your 2nd line and 1 in your IFAK. When its time to apply one - any extremity wound that is serious - you can't improvise one that works as fast as you can apply one. A arterial bleed can make you pass out in 20 seconds and you'll be dead in approximately 2 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeW1hXbigk

Do you have a robot?
    Thanks for the articles. Everyone owes it to themselves as well as their loved ones to ramp up and get trained. Can you imagine standing by while some one you care for dies because you did not take a class. I can come up with all the normal excuses but when said and done they are just excuses. I finely signed up for my EMT re-cert today but I am looking at getting additional training other than the three days for the re-cert class.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.