Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Definition of SHTF?

Do you have a robot?
    Maybe this will help some who regarding SHTF. Not everyone's SHTF is the same, obviously. We all prep for what we perceive will affect us not others. Where are others may see us as crazy for not taking X into consideration it may be just routine to us.

For those of you in Hurricane areas it is kind of like out 100-year flood. Then you get the major "Tropical Depressions" heavy rains. In the 90's we had two 100-year floods in a five year period (for the life of me I don't understand their terminology I don't feel 200 years old). After the second one everyone was ready for the third only it did not come but we did have major flooding over the next five year period. So we just go in a routine to prepare for the floods, not a SHTF situation, just flooding. What we thought was routine now, was unusual to others. We made the National news periodically but did not think anything about it. I had a dear friend who call to make sure we were alright one afternoon during some heavy rains, I was puzzled since she was in Melbourne, Australia. She said she saw the flooding, not the 100-year floods on TV, and want to make sure we were not flooded out. So what is major to others in another local might just be getting to be routine to the affected area. This is truly were the insurance agent comes in and where you get to know them on a first name basis after a couple of times. So how do you plan for things like this, you just store your stuff above the last high water mark. I do not even worry about the floods any more, but look to them as a nuisance. If one road is flooded then there are three others I can take out of our area. Now if it were the earthquake I have Plan A, B, C, etc..........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have never said I was not prepping. This discussion is on what is the definition of SHTF. Not on if we prep, we all prep, that is part of the reason we are here.

Not sure why you are trying to change it to whether or not we prep?

it's not a SHTF to U - Why prep? ..... if you can't go about your normal day - need to do extraordinary jobs - use tools & materials that you wouldn't normally use .... it's the definition of a SHTF

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    it's not a SHTF to U - Why prep? ..... if you can't go about your normal day - need to do extraordinary jobs - use tools & materials that you wouldn't normally use .... it's the definition of a SHTF
    LMAO, do you not see the difference. Prepping is being prepared for things that happen in life. For the last 3 days I have been without power, no a SHTF I cranked up the generator and had A/C, hot showers and so on. Drove to the store for gas every now and then. That is being prepared for normal things that happen fairly often.

Now SHTF means I am on my own, and must make it by myself.

You really can't separate these two things in your head?
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Again, I gotta agree with the helicopter guy

For the Love of Cats

damn! that gyro guy has a point! Seriously!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    SHTF to me?

When the government tells me to do one thing, and I know in my heart and soul, I cannot in good conscience do it.

Thats how I know the SHTF.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

So what do YOU do Stormy... follow orders or your conscious?

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    So what do YOU do Stormy... follow orders or your conscious?

I can guarantee that Stormy will go with his conscious peacefully until he cannot.
    Then the Ohio boy's country upbringing ; military service training will come fore front. Won't be pretty for those diametrically opposed to him and his posse.
    Stormy knows his mission before him and and the only thing that can stop him is death. Good luck with that. There'll be a pile of bodies and spent brass from his reply if it comes to that.

Family & MAG 1st. And my offer still stands. If he needs shooter bait I still available ; Too old to run & gun ; so might as well have some fun popping targets while main force redirects fire power.

Just this old curmudgeon's opinion from all of our post on this site.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    SHTF to me?

When the government tells me to do one thing, and I know in my heart and soul, I cannot in good conscience do it.

Thats how I know the SHTF.
    I, for one, hope that day never comes.
    You, and many others, will have a bad choice to make. I say bad, over tough, because i think for most it wont be so tough. They will know right away to follow either orders or conscience. But it will be bad, for there will be consequences either way.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I, for one, hope that day never comes.
    You, and many others, will have a bad choice to make. I say bad, over tough, because i think for most it wont be so tough. They will know right away to follow either orders or conscience. But it will be bad, for there will be consequences either way.
    If Der Tag ever comes, in whatever of several forms it could take, there is one sort of backhanded positive aspect out of it... it will show, once and for all, the armchair quarterbacks/closet ephialtes-quisling-arnolds, with less than a half roll of dimes, from the folks that put forth the effort and the sweat and the nerve. Just sort of hope it doesn't cost too many of the latter to expose the former.

Perhaps not the best place to post this, but I would remind all of the Tom Clancy bromide known as Greer's Law:

C %, where C= X2

C% being the chance of a secret being compromised
    X being number of people actually in on the secret in the first place.

EX. 3 people in on a secret, 9% chance it is blown.

Grimly enough, this formula implies that a secret is at least half certain to be blown with 8 people, and definitely blown with 10.

Food for thought. Handy pepto bismol recommended.

Kesephist