The thing is don't lock the doors they will just kick them in. Leave only what you can afford to loose in the house. If you want to store on the property then that would be your caches. It may sound defeatist however I have had a piece of property in the family since 1972. Most of the break ins were from neighbor kids stealing food. Then when things were wide open and I was away at school someone came in and stole the copper wiring, which was not hooked up and copper piping for the propane lights. The took everything else they could carry. Since then the place has fallen in due to neglect (20+ years ago) and now I am building again. With the building I am going to put up I will set it up so I can keep some supplies inside as well as hidden.

My biggest problem are from pot growers who come in an plant. They don't like it when others are around so that is my plan, spend more time at the property and enjoy it. We have a gate at the beginning of the road about a mile away. We are at the end and I am going to put in another gate at my property so keep out vehicles. I also plan on putting in trail cameras around to see who is out and about. In the event it is a neighbor I will put the fear of God into him. Other than that it will be nice to see who is around.