Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What problems are you seeing with Low Sulfur Diesel?

Do you have a robot?

What problems are you seeing with Low Sulfur Diesel?

I want to buy a new truck eventually and it would be a diesel. I also will want to store some fuel for both a tractor and truck. Is anybody seeing problems with using and storing diesel. Recently I attended a hazmat training and some storage issues were brought up. Due to the low sulfur they are finding pin hole leaks in some tanks. Because of the sludge at the bottom of the tank the pin holes basically weep and don't flow until they breakdown more. At that point it could be catastrophic. What happens is when the tank is put under pressure then they will fail under inspection. One question I have is what is the difference, I know one has more sulfur than the other, but just what does that mean, what is the purpose mechanically? Thanks in advance.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

finally pooped
    Back during the BP oil spill I got sent down to help with the cleanup and they explained the different types to us but that was all raw oil instead of refined fuel oil. The low sulfur was supposed to just be to satisfy the EPA and it increased the cost due to needing more refinement.

When I worked construction the owner kept his tanks there and they sprung a hole but that was because anytime it rained the water would just bead and sit on the bottom. The next tank he got was a brand new one and I welded a "skirt" on it halfway down all the way around so the water would run off instead of holding on underneath. We also put it higher off the concrete so the humidity wouldn't rust it. As far as I know it still works fine. He hasn't called to complain about it yet!

Premium Member
    I just sold my motorhome and it was designed to run on low sulfur diesel only to meet EPA standards. It also had a catalytic converter on the rear of the exhaust so that it burned clean. You could stand at the back of the exhaust and it did not even smell like diesel exhaust at all. I never any problems with mine in 8 years. Over the last couple of years, the new diesel vehicles have a small tank where you have to add a fluid called Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to meet even stricter EPA standards. Just thought I would mention that.

As far as longer term storage, I used PRI-G additive for mine. They make it for gas and diesel fuels. Diesel fuel without any additive like PRI-G supposed to last about a year, then it can gum up. I have stored fuels using PRI-G and used it two years later.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    My (used to own) '82 K5 with 6.2L Detroit ran on ULS for 5 years with no ill effect that I know of.

Thats all I can contribute, sorry.
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    The sulphur did several things, but one of the primary ones was that it lubricated the injection system.
    The epa came out and demanded much less sulphur, to lower emissions, and vehicles started needing injector system parts sooner than before, as they would wear quicker.
    Newer models should be designed to run the lower sulphur content fuel, so this should no longer be a problem.
    Diesel fuel is hygroscopic, and will absorb moisture straight from the atmosphere and hold it. Water content, as it gets higher, will cause many problems, including rusting in tanks, and it wont burn as well. There are additives to reduce this, and many, if not most vehicles have a water seperator in the fuel system, either stand alone, or a combined fuel filter water filter.
    Also, when it gets real cold, the wax still present in diesel can harden and separate out, called gelling. This thickens the fuel, and it wont burn. It can be reclaimed, but takes time, and a larger tank. In a vehicle, its usually just flushed out.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Every 2 months or so, Id dump a cheap quart of ATF in the tank when I filled up, that was as close to "injector pump lube" as I could get with ULS.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Up here, most people I know storing diesel use 'diesel-seafoam' I don't know about longevity, as I haven't asked....
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    How cold are we talking about for separation of that wax? I've seen it hit -15 in indiana with the diesel in above ground tanks and not had any issues come spring.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    How cold are we talking about for separation of that wax? I've seen it hit -15 in indiana with the diesel in above ground tanks and not had any issues come spring.
    Up north, they already have the anti-gel additive in it in the tanks. Otherwise at -15 it will gel.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

finally pooped
    Ah, that explains it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes