Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kenwood TM-431A... some assistance, please?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Post SHTF, .52 with100+ watts... or as many already have, 65 to 75 on high... with a good gain ground plane antenna up about 30 ft... should be able to talk 45+ miles line of sight... maybe more.

Horizontal polarization with a VHF dipole running VHF SSB, you can almost DOUBLE that, but not a lot of people have SSB rigs for 2M (think: Icom 706 family, which I used to run VHF SSB with and its a HOOT!)

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    DF'ing can be done with a HT. It is really pretty easy. We used to practice that from time to time, mainly looking for people trying to jam our repeaters. .
    OK... I'm not a fan of repeaters, clearly, but that is just me and my peculiarities...the assembled may note that that last is an awful big class... To the point, though; what collection of equine rectums is JAMMING repeaters, and WHY?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    ... what collection of equine rectums is JAMMING repeaters, and WHY?
    Well, hate to admit it, but... assholes get ham tickets too... Just because its not CB doesnt mean ham doesnt attract the stray prick too.

Years ago, some agitated hammer was jamming the repeater by broadcasting Richard Pryor records... Yeah, that went over well... Hours and hours of F and Hell and etc.. etc.. Id imagine for the new ham, that was not very re assuring.

However, the club did an annual fox hunt (google) and in the end, the culprit was identified and the transmissions "stopped", mind you this persisted for a few months though...

Hams arre like cops are like doctors, etc.. (you get the idea), they are PEOPLE too, and not all people are good (some are rotten to the core).

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I'll most likely shit myself

Around here a couple of equine rectums ( I may have to start using that...good one) got it out for the repeater owner and would just do to pester folks at various times. They had enough sense to not stay on for long periods. We still found them and turned them into the FCC. It took a while for anything to be done, but the fines were steep and they lost their ham gear.
    Repeaters are not the best thing ever, but they do have their place. For example, I have been able to talk with BWRR on a repeater between us using one. We live a good piece apart (I'm guessing 100 miles or better) and there is no way we could make contact on 2M without it, barring SSB. OTOH folks rely on them way to much and most will be lost if they all go down.