Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind, note leaving and emergency blanket thoughts from the weekend hike

I'll most likely shit myself

The SOL bivy you linked is what the wife and I keep in our GHB. We also carry them when day hiking. Never had to use it, but would be suitable for getting out of the wind and not losing additional body heat. We also keep a warm hat of some type. That helps hold in your heat as well

Ah yes, the hat...with a string under your chin to keep it there! That was also a minor issue. I've a cowboy-style hat I was wearing on this hike as it was relatively warm & the sun was strong, vs. a baseball-style one I'd use if I didn't feel I needed more relief coverage. Need to add a tether to it.

I had a hat with a built-in alligator clip on a line; it was good for kayaking. If your hat was blown off, it was clipped to a loop on the lifejacket and you didn't have to fetch.

Regarding use of the bivy, I should really practice making an insulating pad using pine branches or other insulating available matter...the conduction would be the weak point on using the unit.

You are right about avoiding conductive heat loss. As for the hat, we keep either a poke or wool watch cap or balaclava on us. Wind don't bother them. You can also wear them in a bivy or sleeping bag. Makes you much warmer in cold weather.

You know, a couple or four large garbage bags (contractors size) are not a bad thing to include...wind and water protection, stuff with leaves for a sleeping pad, cut open and use to waterproof a shelter roof, carry water, etc. Cheap and very lightweight.

We both carry contractor bags. They can be very useful.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I may have been mistaken, but thought I read a story about a young buck that went on a day hike and wasnt expecting trouble, but found a storm and was seeking shelter while being cold.

Or am I incorrect?

Which is it? You want to be prepared at all times, or just when your expecting trouble?

Playing devil's advocate here, I hope you can read into that...

I dont even go on a short hike without matches and a whistle! A few other things, still a light pack, but you get the jest.. If I were going on a "few mile hike" Id have a bonus kit "just in case".

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Agree with several, poncho tucked into pants, shirt on over top. will work equally well as a windbreak, and will not tear as easily. You can wrap the sides tight around your torso, or leave them open a bit to breathe. with another blanket you can make trousers easy enough, and a bit of tape will hold them in shape. wear over or under.

a corner can be cut off to make a 'bandana' to cover your head too.

The best part of making 'clothes' out of the blankets, is that it keeps you mobile. Your friends didn't get cold because they were active.

you can also buy a roll of flagging tape in a bright colour and tie it off right across the trail, so it cannot be missed. using a sharpie you can write a note directly on the tape

I have hiked that trail and I think I did the same climb your friends did, many years ago, in the late fall. the temperature swing from morning to noon and back to evening made dressing challenging too... but we did an overnighter so had lots of kit.

Glad you're alright!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

ElevenBravo, I agree with what you're saying, I'm just being honest that I won't likely carry a sleeping bag on a day hike. My EDC becomes my day hike bag however, and does have the bivy, emerg. blanket, matches & lighter, food etc., and from here in will also have 4 garbage bags instead of 1.

Thanks everyone!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    NP Marthony, and glad you didnt take my reply wrong... A lot of us here play the other side of the coin to expand deeper thinking... No one here will "beat you up", but that doesnt mean were going to sugar coat it either!

To each there own, thats for sure... and the best lessons Ive learned were from bad experiences!!!

On the topic of conduction, it can never be underestimated! Anyone who sleeps (when camping, etc..) DIRECTLY on the ground needs to have there head examined! Ive never NOT used a mat, but Ive been around those that skipped that little thin pad and they were miserable! Some type of insulation, any type.. can save a life in an emergency!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    One other important item that doesnt take up a lot of space, would have been to include a baofeng radio for both groups. This would have given you a first tier communication system with the other group. Secondly, as mentioned, flagging tape with a sharpie or a good marking crayon is ideal. I carry both in a small admin pack on all of my BOBs as well as my body armor.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.