Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics from karate camp

Do you have a robot?
    Helo I have a daughter who does Muay Thai which teaches sticks and knives. Most people look at it as just kick boxing but it is much more if your instructor is well rounded. The one thing it does not do is teach ground fighting, like judo. So she is going to be taking Gracie jiu jitsu this winter. I figure we send our kids off to college they need to be as well rounded as possible. Alas she is still too young and were she lives is not collusive to guns. When that time comes I have some she will move up, until that time she will be training at home.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We do some ground training, but not a lot. We are supposed to start doing more ground work.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    The biggest thing is not finding yourself on the ground. That is what she has been taught because you are so much behind the power curve. However sometimes it happens and you want to know how to either gain by it or get out of it.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Exactly. The goal is to get the other person on the ground. We practice a lot of throws. It is much easier to kick someone in the face if they are on the ground.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Premium Member
    Like I said, I've trained in Korean, Japanese, and American style martial arts for 40 years. I have respect for all of them. It has evolved greatly since I first started back in the 70s in the old Korean style that I was in. Krav Maga, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu just to name a few are good especially for ground training. And in all honesty, most of the time you can end up on the ground or fighting in close quarters.

All are good when training for the right reasons. Knowing martial arts well does not guarantee anything, but definitely gives you the advantage. Plus it's great mental and physical training as well as quality family time.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!