Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What OTC drugs to stock for SHTF

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

all good to know
    also hot packs, cold packs, visene, Vaseline, Epson salts, rubbing alcohol, H2O2,, chap stick, to name a few more
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Chemical hot and cold packs are very expensive, short lived, and have short shelf lives. An ice bag and ice, and a hot water bottle or sock filled with rice that can be heated on a stove work just as well.

Peroxide (H2O2) is a bad thing to use. Visine? If you need to wash out eyes, use water and lots of it. Rubbing alcohol has little use, it should NEVER be used on an open wound, and it is a poor disinfectant.

You can make replacements for most cosmetic products (including lip balm) out of combinations of bees wax (find a bee hive) and olive oil (which, if purchased in metal or glass containers will last forever).

And epsom salts? Seriously, what for?

For the Love of Cats

Epsom salts have long been considered one of the 'super' products available, for a multitude of reasons.

Some basic info:
    http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/ep...s-benefits.asp

What about cold medications? Dirixoral, Contact-C, Sudafed, Otrivan, etc.

Vitamin C (or multi vitamins)
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Cold packs are just ammonium nitrate and water. You can make them yourself if you do not have ice. But I agree they are expensive and take up too much room for me to store.

I've never used Epsom salts, some swear by it, just never had a need.

As to alcohol, I drink it, grain that is.

Hydrogen peroxide is something people keep using. It is not good for wounds, if you are irrigating a wound use saline or good sterile water. There is piles of information on the internet but the problem in not knowing what is true and good.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

I've always used peroxide on wounds. what's the problem with it? What does everyone use instead?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    As long as it's shallow enough I just put drawing salve on everything. Homemade stuff rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Do you have a robot?
    A good topical antibiotic works very well, a Neosporin or Polysporin is what I use. When it comes to cleaning a wound I irrigate it with water for day to day dings. My hands are always getting dings. If I get a slight infection, that is when just good hot soapy water works well (time to clean the dishes) for cleaning it out then a topical on top. However most of a time just keeping it clean and putting on a band aid.

I've never heard of drawing salve.

Oh ya regarding hydrogen peroxide it will cause tissue damage that is why it has stopped being used. Some people like to use it as a disinfectant on material such as counter tops. The best thing is just good bleach, it works for just about everything, except wounds.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

Kind of like Dettol? That stuff used to be used in first aid, but on the label it gave mix ratios for mopping floors.
    lol

I may have to keep a bottle or two of HP around though. I always liked watching wounds fizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I've always used peroxide on wounds. what's the problem with it? What does everyone use instead?

Peroxide looks cool to use because of the fizzing.

The problem is that fizzing is the result of the peroxide blowing live cells apart. It literally causes the cell walls to rupture. Why would you want to do that?

Then, the dead cells are in the wound, at body temperature. You would be hard pressed to create a better incubator for bacteria than that.

For minor (i.e. you aren't thinking about going to the ED to get stitches) wounds, washing with running water (tap water is fine, if it is safe to drink) and getting all the foreign material out of the wound is best. If there is lots of dirt, then wash with soap too. In the ED I'd use saline and something like hibiclens scrub, because thats what we have, but there is no real evidence that it works any better than plain old soap and water.

There is a little evidence that keeping the wound kind of moist with something like an ointment helps speed healing. The various antiseptic ointments work that way. It doesnt matter in a typical incision what antibiotic you use. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) would work as well. I keep a tube of the antibiotic ointment around because it's harder to contaminate than a jar of vaseline that someone stuck their booger-hook into.

This does not apply to big wounds, burns or things you need to see one of my colleagues for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Kind of like Dettol? That stuff used to be used in first aid, but on the label it gave mix ratios for mopping floors.
    lol

I may have to keep a bottle or two of HP around though. I always liked watching wounds fizz.
    Dettol isn't a bad topical or surface disinfectant but some people are allergic to it.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    The problem is that fizzing is the result of the peroxide blowing live cells apart. It literally causes the cell walls to rupture. Why would you want to do that?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Peroxide looks cool to use because of the fizzing.

Um... I think you answered your own question...

besides, my wife hates the smell when I use gasoline.