Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post EMP cars/trucks

Post EMP cars/trucks

Some days I wish I still had my old '56 Chevy. I could work on that ride! Today we have so many electronics in our cars and trucks. If an EMP event were to strike, very few vehicles would run due to the fried electronics. Pehaps someone on this forum could tell us how difficult it would be to convert our vehicles to "old style" technology and be able to have some basic transportation.

Since just about all of them have fuel injection is this even possible?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Thats a good question, without a simple answer... I will say Id suspect over 90% of vehicles my crank but never fire.

The WarWagon, thats another story... It will take more than an EMP to kill it. The injector pump also does the squirt timing, and its all mechanical. Look for a vehicle with a 6.2L Detroit Diesel, and buy it. 6.5L would be fine too.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Premium Member
    What about just buying a car/truck built before 1978 that is still original? Isn't '78 when EFI came along?
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

I'll most likely shit myself

There was some electrical issues before then, but it was very limited. I worked for a Datsun (Nissian) dealer in the late 70s and the Z cars and the high end sedans were EFI and electronic ignition, back to the 74 models. All the lower end stuff, including trucks were all carburated. Toyota were similar. I had a 86 Toyota put that was the last model they made without EFI. Wish I stl had it.
    All that to say, it varied greatly by manufacture and model

Do you have a robot?
    Get an old jeep they run forever..............but you are always tinkering with them
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Motorcycles / Mopeds / ATV any suggestions there?

Do you have a robot?
    Nope mama will not let me have one. She has enough insurance on my so I don't know why????

Mopeds I do like this one however it may not survive an EMP https://motoped.com/survival/

Motorcycles and ATVs all fall in the same category with electronics. I would check with a mechanic. Frankly this is the one I am saving my pennies for http://www.polaris.com/en-us/military/combat/mrzr-2. I think it will fit all my needs.......

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    The MZR video was pretty cool... but data point, my Grand Cherokee with stupid 2" lift has 15" of ground clearance... Thats with stock 235 tires...

A square body Cherokee with all the doors removed would be way more bad ass me thinks... Paint it desert tan, maybe fab up some hummer style doors for the winter, would end up being cheaper...

You can drop a 4BT/straight trans or a propane conversion/straight trans and it would be "emp proof" too... Maybe carry extra rotor button and assorted accessories for ignition, but at least theres no computer... Wouldnt be much bigger either...

Not bashing the MZR, but it did stimulate my creative thinking...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do you have a robot?
    I bought a jeep for $2,500 a few years ago and put $4K into it which was much less than a side by side. The one thing I do like about the MRZR or the RZR is they have a skinny platform. I know wider is better but in this case it is as wide as a regular ATV. This allows it to go into the off road areas of the state were larger vehicles, jeeps, are not allowed.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I side by side will go anywhere a jeep will, but a jeep will not get places a side by side will.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson