Thread: My new BOV/Expedition vehicle

In his experience the hammer head is better

My new BOV/Expedition vehicle

So this has been my project the last two months. I traded it for an old beat up 24v diesel I had. The vehicle was set up with better tires, and a winch. I have done tons of maintenance to it and have fully redone the suspension. The goal for this vehicle is to be our "Camper" and serve as a BOV. Heres my 2002 Nissan Xterra 4x4.

Heres a list of my mods:
    Redid the roof rack
    New springs and shocks
    New Bearings
    10k Winch
    3" lift
    VHF and CB radios
    ARB awning

Last week we did a camping trip in the Huron national forest, and explored the west side of Michigan. We offroaded for 60 miles some of which was pretty rough. We camped in a tent, carried all our food and water, and cooked over the fire. We backpacked from the truck as well.

Future plans will be a heavy duty bumper with with tire and jerry can carriers so I have more room on the roof. When the engine goes I want to make it non electric with a small diesel to make it EMP proof.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

I'll most likely shit myself

Sweet ride. Sounds like it does a fine job.

Good to see you back on BTW

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Very nice rig! And I wil lecho backpacker, welcome back!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

246k on my 02' Xterra still love it. Did u do the timing belt package? It's due every 100k. I just put 750 in maintenance into mine with a little left to do, tire balancing, shocks, bushings, and get ready, they're NOTORIOUS for blowing the upper AC hard line (watch for green residue, I'm on the 4th one since 2003. I have to say, it's my favorite vehicle I've owned since my corvette, and it's tough. If you haven't found the xterrafirma forum, check it out, lots of helpful stuff and some of those guys have wicked mods to theirs.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

In his experience the hammer head is better

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    246k on my 02' Xterra still love it. Did u do the timing belt package? It's due every 100k. I just put 750 in maintenance into mine with a little left to do, tire balancing, shocks, bushings, and get ready, they're NOTORIOUS for blowing the upper AC hard line (watch for green residue, I'm on the 4th one since 2003. I have to say, it's my favorite vehicle I've owned since my corvette, and it's tough. If you haven't found the xterrafirma forum, check it out, lots of helpful stuff and some of those guys have wicked mods to theirs.
    The belt was one at the proper interval I have a metal stamp in the engine compartment from a nissan dealer saying it was done. I really love it...its by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Do you have a robot?
    Nice ride. My nephew has one and loves it. When it hits 110k he will be going through it completely and will be making a bunch of mods. I would think it would be along the same line. Have fun with it.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

The only thing that wears me out about this particular year of Xterra is, timing belt vs. chain. All of the newer models have the chain, and don't have the service interval that the older ones do, except that the timing chain tensioners are, wait for it... PLASTIC! and they have their own set of issues. The other thing I would do, is write down the VIN, and call a Nissan dealership service department about recalls. There were some recalls on mine like fuel pump seals etc that had they not been done, I'm positive I wouldn't have had the reliability I've experienced with mine.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.