Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my trailer

My husband and I built up a 5x8 trailer this summer. It doesn't have the metal side rails or the attached ramp, though. We wanted to transport 4 kayaks, fishing and camping gear, and 4 mountain bikes. We laid 2x4's around the perimeter, laid plywood across the top, and added locks, latches, and hinges so we could open the top. Just that bottom part fits all of the paddles, life jackets, fishing poles, bike locks, etc. Then we added superstrut to the sides and top for the kayaks, modeled after the Malone kayak rack http://www.amazon.com/Malone-Racks-U...oss+Bar+System

We also added some water noodles to give it that homemade look and to protect the kayaks. We used the Thule kayak carrier and tie downs we already had, and bought locking fork mounts for the bikes. I really wanted the gutter style bike racks but they were too expensive and we couldn't find anything suitable to make them with, and the fork mounts take up less room. We also cut some plywood to make sides just so things wouldn't rattle around. I'm thinking about adding a locking storage box or one of those truck bed boxes to the front, but I'm not even sure we need it.

I will have to ask my husband if he took any pics while we were camping. We just took it apart to fold it back up and store it yesterday.

Need the worlds hottest pepper seeds? See him...
    Check these out Izzy.
    I saw a commercial for these the other day. Pretty cool.
    This should give you some inspiration and ideas.

http://www.flextrailers.com/

Do you have a robot?
    Izzy
    My nephew has a similar trailer with expanded mesh for a floor. The ramp is also expanded metal. It is rated to hold 850 pounds. Looking at yours, you have a wooden deck which would lower the total weight allowed to be carried. He carries his dirt bike on it. So what can you do to pimp it out, well the spinners would work well…………….but a little too flashy. The one I am familiar with is really not conducive to lifting. You might consider fatter tires to let it float better on mud and sand. I do like the solid side so you keep things inside and with the solid deck you can move dirt or other loose material. I can’t see very well but can you put a lock box on the front of the platform on the tongue,

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/ve...r-tongue-boxes

For carrying equipment take a look at landscape trailers they will allow you to carry various size tools. I like the idea to carry a chainsaw and well as shovels etc.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...quipment-racks

Consider putting racks on the sides for gas cans. I like the ones which lock and I like the metal over the plastic gas cans.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...u-exoCO6Dw_wcB

Remember when mounting stuff on a trailer keep it close to the axle so you are not increasing the tongue weight but with a small trailer this really will not be a problem. One thing I have found on all these trailers is they skimp on the paint. Most of the time it is just one coat. I do not like anything black so I would paint it, even if you have to rattle can it. All the above stuff is bolt on so you do not have to do any welding. I would recommend welding it you can. Have fun
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Realist,

The mesh floor is underneath the plywood. I plan on taking the plywood off.

Do you happen to own the gas can racks you linked to?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thinks it might be German

Love the trailer! Price is right too!!
    Ground clearance is a must. The easiest (and cheapest) way to lift it is to change out the rims and tires. Leave the suspension alone, but pull the fenders off for clearance. Either re attach those fenders at a higher point for tire clearance, or head over to the nearest Northern Tool and pick up a larger set of fenders for about $40 to $50 bucks apiece.

I would get a tongue box as well to not only increase capacity, but they make a good "lockable) place to stow straps, jacks, tools, etc...

Good job on this acquisition!!!

Here's mine with stock suspension. Bump stops were added to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders when compressed. This is an old pic. I'm running some mud terrain 235/75/15's now (30") on the Jeep rims, plus an XCargo top box. Tongue box next week ($ willing)

Last edited by slowz1k; 09-11-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: More info, and spelling
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by slowz1k View Post
    Love the trailer! Price is right too!!
    Ground clearance is a must. The easiest (and cheapest) way to lift it is to change out the rims and tires. Leave the suspension alone, but pull the fenders off for clearance. Either re attach those fenders at a higher point for tire clearance, or head over to the nearest Northern Tool and pick up a larger set of fenders for about $40 to $50 bucks apiece.

I would get a tongue box as well to not only increase capacity, but they make a good "lockable) place to stow straps, jacks, tools, etc...

Good job on this acquisition!!!

Here's mine with stock suspension. Bump stops were added to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders when compressed. This is an old pic. I'm running some mud terrain 235/75/15's now (30") on the Jeep rims, plus an XCargo top box. Tongue box next week ($ willing)

that's sweet
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by slowz1k View Post
    . Leave the suspension alone,
    I disagree, raising the trailer will give you better clearance for crossing creeks and things.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

If you don't get gold rims with "spinnaz" you're only hurting yourself. It's urban camo. Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

A lot of trailers I have seen around here have welded mounts for the axle. Gotta have the right skills and tools to make an axle move safely. Doable but more involved.

Thinks it might be German

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I disagree, raising the trailer will give you better clearance for crossing creeks and things.
    I agree that a suspension lift would help with angle of approach, and help keep the tail from dragging, but most of these util trailers ( mine included ) have straight axles. The only way to get more actual ground clearance for that axle is larger tires. You'll have the same amount of clearance on a trailer with an 8" lift, as you would on one with a 2" lift, IF they are both running the same size tires.

Edit:::: I wrote the above and just realized you weren't even talking about ground clearance. You are right... A lift would pay off when you need to keep the cargo out of the muck. Good point helo!
    Last edited by slowz1k; 09-12-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: I'm an idio
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.