Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big, Bad, Holy, Mighty Icom 706 Mk II G

may be in trouble

The Big, Bad, Holy, Mighty Icom 706 Mk II G

has been out of production for six years.

Radios tend to come in families.... Does the vaunted 706 have a follow on? Or have I just mouthed rank heresy?

Kesephist

I'll most likely shit myself

Keep, 706 is a great radio and the leader back n the day for that type rig. I have the Mark I model, (no UHF). It's been a really good rig and I have had zero issues with mine. I know several others who have the Mark II model and they all love them. The only new comparable HF/VHF/UHF rigs on the market right now I would consider would be the Yaesu FT-857.
    You'll get no complaints from me.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I had a 706 "classic", wish I still had it..

Used it for portable HF and SSB VHF, worked a treat!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I use my Mark II every day. VHF and HF. Aways good reports.

Not a thing wrong with it, and not a radio with better offerings to replace it with, except maybe smaller (FT-857D)

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Not a thing wrong with it, and not a radio with better offerings to replace it with, except maybe smaller (FT-857D)
    Never said anything about WRONG, Doc, aside from the dreadful truth that it has been out of production for six years. Why would such a stellar performer be withdrawn from production, anyway?

(chuckle) ah, for the $2500, the Mormon handcart, and the General license to have two of em to trundle up the side of one of the Spring Mountain range west of Vegas for next Field Day. A General would allow me to wring everything out of them.

So... in short, the OP answer is NO, there is no follow-on to the 706-IIG, it is the pinnacle of the Icom 700-706 family of multibands, and aside from the abovementioned Yaesu 857-D, nothing presently out there to match it.

Or so I take it. Anyone else to chime in?

Ill chime...

In the radio industry, they MUST change the product line to keep it stimulated for new sales, which drives the industry.

yes, the 706 family was all that, AND a bag of chips and a Coke to boot... but closed out and nothing took its place.

The fact that the 706 family has been discontinued has no bearing on it's legendary service.

There still persist plenty of service techs that can take care of a unit that lays down.

In the end, I would NOT hesitate to get a 706 if I found one for a good price.

In fact, Id love to find a TS-120 again, that was my first HF radio, and the damn thing was AWESOME!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

I'll most likely shit myself

Icom does have a new model to replace the 706. It's the IC-7100, covers UHF/VHF/HF bands. Not sure how long it's been out, but reviews look decent. Heres a lnk.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lin...m-IC-7100.html

Manufactures change models from time to time, gotta have something new to make some funds on.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post

In fact, Id love to find a TS-120 again, that was my first HF radio, and the damn thing was AWESOME!

EB
    Three on auction at ebay.

As of this writing (2015/09/22//09:00 PDT)... one ends in ten hours, one in 51 hours and one in 226 hours. First two are about $200 as of this writing, ~ USD$30 shipping. Third one opened about 7PM PDT @ $150, same shipping, no bids at this time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-TS-1...item1a0630bed5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-TS-1...item5b19338962

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-TS-1...item3f5410898d

Hope this hooks you back up with an old and trusted friend. Come to that, since I can't seem to conclude my quest, if you are truly after this, then PM me and I might be partly able to angel the matter. This all assuming that all three of these auctions aren't completely infected by shills.

Im not set to get another rig at this time, my trusty TenTec is still going strong with solid reports (also thanks to my home brew vertical no doubt!).

The 120 is on my bucket list.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"