Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomb shelter/secret bugout location on your own property

Bomb shelter/secret bugout location on your own property

Hey all,

Been thinking about buying a BOL away from the city. It will also be a recreation spot for us in the spring and summer. Hopefully a desolate place where we can shoot on the property.

The 1st improvement would be getting services to the lot. Then to build some sort of underground shelter/hideout.
    We are thinking 2xSxS 20' containers and then encase in cement to reduce the rust factors. Then build a structure above it. Either the principal living area or a barn, garage etc.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Pro/cons?

Thanks all
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

do your research - just about a zillion posting on burying CONEX boxes .... rusting out the boxes is the least of your problems

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Yeah, I would not use a connex. when and if I ever build my underground bunker it will be made from 10 or 12 foot culverts.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

finally pooped
    I would look up box culverts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Round culverts are stronger.

For the Love of Cats

both round and square have their advantages and disadvantages. Round is incredibly strong, but has less available space, and more importantly, less usable space. Square provides more room, more usable space, and an easier walking platform. The trade off, of course, is less strength.

In a perfect, and high budget world, I would do a combo of both... domed roof/upper walls over a square base with 5' straight pony walls.

The biggest problem with underground, especially up here with our fluxuations in temperature, and more importantly, humidity... is ventilation. Condensation dripping constantly, really fucking sucks!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    both round and square have their advantages and disadvantages. Round is incredibly strong, but has less available space, and more importantly, less usable space. Square provides more room, more usable space, and an easier walking platform. The trade off, of course, is less strength.

In a perfect, and high budget world, I would do a combo of both... domed roof/upper walls over a square base with 5' straight pony walls.

The biggest problem with underground, especially up here with our fluxuations in temperature, and more importantly, humidity... is ventilation. Condensation dripping constantly, really fucking sucks!
    The round can give almost as much if planned correctly. If I ever build one it will be 12' diameter and will have a floor built 3 foot above the bottom. This will give you 3 feet of storage space and still give you 9 feet of head room in center. After putting bunks, and shelves on the sides you will have plenty of room inside.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I want to build.

http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/aboutus/nbc/

finally pooped
    I was just saying that the culverts are meant to be buried. There are horror stories about the connex boxes that are buried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Great info, thanks all, thanks for the link helo.
    I am now pointed in the right direction.

This is one I found recently http://www.risingsbunkers.com/pricing-and-floor-plans/
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Do you have a robot?
    I have fooled with connex boxes and they can really be nice. To start we had three, 3-20 and 1-40 foot one. These are not buried but above ground with solar power and a back up generator when it is so overcast the solar is blocked.

The big thing initially was to clear away any rust and seal it. The exterior was primed with two coats and then two overcoats. If you were to buy one make sure you look at all the places which water would settle, hence rust. I did a smell test, all of them had wooden decks. I put down a vapor barrier, Tyvex, and then put 1 inch tongue and groove flooring down. Then I framed out the sides and ceiling. The sides were 2x4 and the ceiling was 2x6. I insulated the sides with two inch rigid foam and four inch ceiling. On the sides and ceiling I covered them in 1/2 inch plywood after wiring it for lighting and electrical outlets.

So what had this to do with a buried connex box? Well if I was going to bury one I would do it the same way but instead of wood I would use steel in place of the wood studs. On the floor I would use steel to tie in the walls to give it more rigidity and then lay the flooring on top. Over the exterior of the connex before I buried it I would cover it with butyl rubber material which is used in ponds. This covering would cover all sides and ends. Before I placed the connex I would lay down a good rock base with pipe underneath to drain any water which could accumulate under the connex. It would also need a ventilation system which draw exterior air both powered and manually. There are several good systems on the market.

Now for plan B. I have also looked at using culverts too and personally I think the 12 foot wide ones are the only ones viable. I agree they are stronger and would give you storage underneath and plenty of room up top. The thing I do not like about the culverts is the round tube, although it may be stronger I get a closed in feeling when I am in them. I prefer the box over the tube.

Cost wise I do not know what is cheaper. I do know a 20 foot box goes for about $2,500 plus shipping..
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.