Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of coyotes?

How to get rid of coyotes?

So we are starting to have some serious issues with coyotes in our area. We live in the suburbs near Pasadena, Ca. Housing desnity is pretty thick.

The coyote around my daughter's home is now attacking taking pets, even some good sized dogs during daylight hours. We have been told the coyote is a "protected" species, probably designated so by some of our asshat legislators in Sacramento, maybe by some bureaucrat.

I have no problem with taking one of those animals out. If I were outside it was threatening me, right?

The question is what to use? 7.62X39 and 5.56 both will do the job but would most likely be a through shot and then endanger neighbors. .357 would most likely pass through too and since from a handgun, more chance of a miss occurring at the distance I would have to shoot. .38spl and 9mm less chance of a through shot but the same issue of accuracy on a slightly moving target at distance.

Would a .22LR take down a coyote? I would hope to at least drop it with the first shot and do a couple of quick follow up shots to humanely kill it.

How about your thoughts on how to deal with animal? I thought about bringing in a roadrunner but....

For the Love of Cats

up here they are considered vermin, and they're fair game.

Yes a .22 will take them down easily. I have shot literally hundreds of them with .22.

Other approaches are trapping but they are pretty clever and hard to catch.

and poisoning; but you may run into collateral damage of neighbours cats and dogs.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Vermin here also. Shoot on sight. Some areas you can even collect a bounty for killing them.
    Mostly, around here, they use larger than 22s, so I don't know how effective that will be.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Any decent shot will take them,lots of people will gut shoot them and let them run off to die.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

One big problem I read about with killing coyotes is that only the alpha male and female breed. If the Alpha is killed all members of the pack will breed until a new alpha takes over. This will cause a population explosion.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    As far as I know, you are allowed to kill them of they present a threat, "it kept advancing on me Warden, so did what I felt was prudent to protect myself"....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    300 blackout, subsonic, with a can... Shoot it from inside the house and Hefty bag it after dark, toss it in trash can.

The more someone sees, or the more you tell, you more you have to explain.

My father in law killed a squirrel that was acting plumb wild, while a major rabies outbreak was reported... He called the game warden, he came to get the squirrel and before he left informed him he could have written him a ticket for discharge in a residential. He said next time, hes not calling any damn body.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    300 blackout, subsonic, with a can... Shoot it from inside the house and Hefty bag it after dark, toss it in trash can.

The more someone sees, or the more you tell, you more you have to explain.

My father in law killed a squirrel that was acting plumb wild, while a major rabies outbreak was reported... He called the game warden, he came to get the squirrel and before he left informed him he could have written him a ticket for discharge in a residential. He said next time, hes not calling any damn body.

EB
    Soft-pointed or hollowpoint, if you can manage it. Mr. Blackout is is a spectacular set of specs (groaning at pun), but:

(excerpted from Wikipedia's article "300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62×35mm)" )

" 300 BLK rounds like the Barnes TAC 110 grain, have "barrier blind" performance, being capable of penetration through several inches of different hard targets. "

Would not do to have a thru and thru taking care of Wile E., and then hitting something valuable behind.

Do you have a robot?
    This is part of the problem with Socal no one really hunts them in that area. As for a County trapper some of the counties have done away with the position. You might check with Fish and Wildlife (no longer Fish and Game, that would imply we hunt). A shotgun with something other than 00 buck or slugs works well when in an Urban environment works well. The big issues are the neighbors all think coyotes are in a class with Rin Tin Tin, does anyone remember that, okay Lassie. That is until one takes fluffy off the front porch.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.