Thread: Vitamins & minerals

may be in trouble

Vitamins & minerals

I'm full aware of multiple sources of plant based vitamin supplements that can be grown in house and aren't as exotic as one would think.

HOWEVER -when- SHTF I would like enough shelf vitamins or concentrates to tide one over until such said plant vitamins are grown. I'm ALSO aware that it'd not be all that damn difficult to hawk vitamins that just don't stay in the body very long, and are expelled by sweat, pee, even exhalation.

ANy one got solid data on long body duration, long shelf life multivitamins in quantity? Or should I just buy a couple gallon jar sized bottles of generic Centrum Silver (being 54),and stick them with the loadout?

Rather than a giant bottle, get several small bottles....once you open the bottle, the fat soluble vitamins (ADEK) will start to deteriorate. Keeping the bottles factory sealed (and in a cool, not frozen place) will help delay it.

may be in trouble

By which I understand to mean heat and air being detrimental. Will vacuum sealing stop the deterioration?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    By which I understand to mean heat and air being detrimental. Will vacuum sealing stop the deterioration?
    Not really. The bottles are sealed pretty well at the factory. The deterioration is a function of temperature. In general a chemical process speed doubles with each 10 degree C increase in temperature (and the opposite)...If you keep them cool, dry and sealed you pretty well maximize the shelf life.

You generally don't want to freeze drugs, either - especially things that have complex molecules (proteins, like insulin)...the freezing can cause the molecules to break in unusual and unexpected ways.

So, ideally, store small bottles of drugs (so you only open and expose a small supply at a time), store them in a refrigerator (keep them cool but not frozen), keep them dark, and dry.