bacpacker:"Not sure about how things will go right away. I think most folks will try to use what cash they have on hand for as long as they can, or until they run out. Shouldn't take more than a week. I seriously doubt most folks have any PM's. My bet is no more than 10% of folks and probably no more than half of those have more than $100 or so."

Need to shift your decimal over a place to the left, regarding your estimate on PM holders.

MAYBE, just MAYBE 10% of PREPPERS hold PMs. This community can be just as tunnel-visioned in some areas as anyone else.

bacpacker:"For barter, how many sheeple is gonna have much of anything useful to trade. Food, seeds, tools, doubtful. At best you might be able to get some labor from them but then you take a chance on them figuring out that you have stuff to live on and will be back to try and liberate it."

The term is 'steal'.

A lot of the SHTF scenarios have massive destruction and very few survivors. Trade will be a minimal concern for a very long time. My plans are for periods far less wholly destructive, and if that makes me out to be a Pollyanna, so be it.

Of the four cases I outlined elsewhere in this forum of SHTF, I believe that HAM ROD is most likely. From inauguration to when it settles in for however long it decrees itself to be President-for-Life or whatever, will be the LAST period of time left to get what ever preps, including plans for matters of trade, hammered out. Both the OUTLAW and TICKERTAPE cases will be much faster, much more unpredictable, and a lot more immediately destructive. Any trade or money or other fiscal planning best be in place NOW for them, and as in all good plans, simpler the better.