Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding to the fleet - utility traiiler

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Trust me, the last time I tried that, it didn't go too well!
    On my signal...3.. 2...1. FREEZE...FBI...put your hands behind your back. You are now under arrest. Anything you say can and will be used against you....

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Several years ago while prowling through my local scrap yard, I came upon this sad little trailer setting amongst the rest of the scrap iron. On the front of the trailer was a rusted brake drum and a plastic 5 gallon bucket full of stainless steel 3/8 bolts, washers, lock washers, with a wing nut on the end of each one. While I was picking through the aluminum pile next to the iron next to the iron, I kept looking at the sad, little trailer. It's base was made from a Chevy truck, I can only assume due to the one hub cap, and made into a dump frame. It's floor was made from an old metal door, with a hole still in it where the door handle originally was. The siding is from an old erector set, and the hitch was welded on by someone who didn't know how to weld. There were no lights, no tail gate, and not much else, but it reminded me of the Christmas tree from the Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon. I saw its potential, and bought it for its scrap iron price of about $40, and got the brake drum and bucket of bolts for free. I pulled it home, and started decorating my Christmas tree. BWRR helped me out by installing a new set of lights he had for me, (he must have been thinking of the Christmas tree also by adding Christmas lights.) I reinforced the siding here and there by adding aluminum bar, ran a solid bar across the back, and added some aluminum angle over the bad world on the hitch by drilling through the frame and adding bolts. When it was ready for my test run, I backed up the pickup, and pulled out of the driveway, and she wouldn't budge. After some long thought out thoughts and a few curse words, I found they left in the drive shaft, and I had run bolts through it. After I fixed that, it was ready for its first journey, a round trip of over 1100 miles to an auction in Florida to pick up some crates. My stepdaughter and I drove down, and the next day loaded up the truck and trailer. After an hour or two, we headed out for home, loaded high, and drove about 20' when the trailer jumped of the hitch and hit the ground when I crossed over a speed bump at less than 1 mph. After tightening up the hitch, chains, and certifying it safe for the road, it immediately fell off again. I limped it next door to a hardware store (lucky for me), and to be honest, made some on the spot repairs that I don't remember what they were at this time. It was in the hardware parking lot I took these pictures. The trip home was frightful, but non eventful, until it hopped of and dug into the road again less than 1/4 mile from home. I popped it back on, and drove up the driveway and ended that adventure. I used it again a few time, with no problems at all. So, the morale of this story is, "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown", which means there isn't one...so stop reading.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Domeguy; 03-02-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added pic

Crotch Rocket

Here, T. I'm being lazy, but I have the specs for ya http://bigtextrailers.com/30sa35sa-single-axle-utility/
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

Sweet!

And not lazy... smart and thorough!

sigh, my lawnmower would so love to ride that trailer.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Crotch Rocket

Lol
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

What can I say, we're a bit anal about maintaining it. It gets washed and waxed at least once a year. Easier at the car wash than at home.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Vodin,

Get yourself one of these to park out front, and then just tuck the trailer in behind it. No one will care about the trailer.

For added effect, take off at least 2 wheels and leave it on cinderblocks.

lol if only... what kinda candy does it have? Any dark chocolate with caramel? Can not have nuts hate nuts in chocolate.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

Your van, your choice in candy!

mmmm candy...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

I remember this evolution...............
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Do you have a robot?
    What do you mean the candy can't have nuts???? The owner is nuts....
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.