Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potable Solar powered refrigerator and solar powered ice making

Do you have a robot?
    Hey Domeguy can you break down the components for me on that? You are right it is similar to what I am looking for. I want a trailer I can have the panels on top and store equipment underneath and still have it secure. This would require a solid sided trailer. Below is something similar to what I envision. A trailer like this would allow me to securely store my equipment and have the deck raised containing the panels.

https://trailerplans01.wordpress.com...-road-trailer/
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    This trailer
    [IMG][/IMG]

Has these batteries inside

[IMG][/IMG]

And these components, inverter, charge controller, cut off switches, ect

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is the schematic for it.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, it also has a generator in it also. This can be varied to suit your needs.

Do you have a robot?
    Thank your sir. What type of batteries are those? Why do you have the two set of four batteries separated? It set up so when the power drops below a certain point the generator kicks in? I have seen all types and I know deep cycle RV batteries work, but I was looking at the larger type like you have there. Do you have a guesstimate as to the cost of a set up like this minus the trailer? Lastly is the generater gas or propane? Thank you

finally pooped
    If I'm not mistaken the batteries are each 6 volts and running them in that configuration makes it a dual 24 volt setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Realist, please forgive me if I have implied I built this trailer, as I did not. I have not built one yet, but do plan on doing so in the future. I looked up system on a trailer that showed what was used and where they mounted everything, along with the schematics like what you were looking for. As far as the set up in this particular trailer, I'm guessing they were wanting a higher voltage output, and I believe James answer beat me to the punch. And for the generator, I don't know, but a propane powered would work just as well as a gasoline power one. I was just trying to show how a larger solar system does not have to be tied to a home only. You can still pack quite a punch into a smaller portable package.
    And after looking around today, I have decided to go with a wagon style platform rather than a 2 wheeled dolly platform. It won't be as top heavy, and it would give more room for the batteries. I also have decided on going with a 1000W pure sine wave inverter.

Do you have a robot?
    Not a problem. It is just one more project which I would like to do. I do appreciate the information.

I'll most likely shit myself

James is right. Everything is wired at the batteries for 24volts. Panels are wired for 48volts, then split off to 24v at the controller for storage at the batteries.
    As shown, the generator does not kick in at a certain voltage. It would need a relay and auto start system. Although that may be there. Schematic also doesn't show any monitoring unless it's built in the systems.
    Really nice set up and would run a good deal of stuff in a off the grid situation. Downside, it would take up a lot of space storing batteries and panels that may be needed for other transport storage. Thanks for putting that up DG. I do like it and think it would be great to use as a emergency communcations support vehicle.

Do you have a robot?
    Bacpacker we had a similar setup at a remote site at my work. It operated off just two solar panels and I believe there were around a dozen batteries. There was also a propane powered generator which would kick on when the voltage dropped to a certain level.

Guys why do they use 24 volts over 12 volt?

I'll most likely shit myself

My bet would be less current draw with the higher voltage. A lot of systems are 48v that I have looked at. Power or watts equals voltage times current.

finally pooped
    I'm honestly not sure why but it seems that most professional or heavy use systems are 24 volts. No idea why except perhaps the volts vs amps for wire size. 12 volts at 1400 amps theoretically gives the same power as 24 volts at 750 but you can use a smaller diameter wire on the latter vs the former.

I actually just picked up a book on solar electricity from a second hand store down here so I'm still trying to muddle through it. I try to find my answers to questions in the book but sometimes I have to take their word or do some online searching.

Till now I have only done simple house wiring under close supervision. However the guy I worked with did some contracting work in europe and apparently they run a much higher voltage at lower amps so they get the same power but can use thinner wire for everything. He said that the cost to wire a house was almost half of what it is over here because of less copper used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes