Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Potable Solar powered refrigerator and solar powered ice making

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Roger that.

finally pooped
    I feel so empowered learning this stuff and having it make sense so well that I can explain it. Feels like progress even if I'm just reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

may be in trouble

Domeguy:"I had a large sale on eBay last week, so I started buying materials for the solar powered portable power station. I bought 2- 12 volt 100Ah batteries, 1- 1000w inverter, (1500w peak power) 1- 20A charge controller, and various switches and gauges. I still need to purchase the solar panels, but I might be able to borrow some for the week I need them. I will start assembly next week when the equipment arrives, and keep you posted on what I short out or blow up."

A parts list would be appreciated, irrelevant of outcome.

Yesterday, the batteries were delivered to the porch, and I found in the mail box the charge controller, the main power switch, and the information panel. Today, the inverter should arrive. I went to lowes and bought the wiring. I choice 10 gauge as it needed to be thick enough to handle the DC voltage, but small enough to fit into the small hook-up areas like the charge controller. I'm still deciding on what to use or build for the "container". Right now I'm thinking of using 3/4 in. plywood to make a 2 level, 16 inch no cube with a hinged lid and using a hand truck to move it around. The 2 batteries in the bottom level with a wooden separation and the charge controller, inverter, outlets, switches and the fuses. I will take plenty of pictures and keep a cost list.

I'll most likely shit myself

Lookin forward to it.

I have been waiting for the inverter to arrive before I started making the box. I checked the UPS site, and they said it was delivered yesterday. So I went down the driveway to ask the neighbors if they had it, and guess where I found it. Tied up in a clear plastic trashbag sitting on the side of my driveway in the weeds. My thoughts of UPS are for another time, so I brought it up and started cutting plywood. I decided I wanted to be able to unhook and unload the batteries easily, so I made a door in the bottom of the box and I will slide the batteries in longways, leaving air circulation room around them. I will put in 1 inch square pieces of lumber on the 2 long sides and the back, and just put a small piece on the door side so I can lift the battery over it to slide the battery out. I made the box out of 3/4 inch plywood, and has an interior space on the bottom of 16" W X 15" D X 10.5" H.
    The upper portion of the box has a removable floating floor, supported by strips on the below wall. It's space is 16" W X 15" D X 4.5" H. In the top will go the inverter, charge controller, switches, meters, ect. It took me about 4 hrs. to make the box. The next step is to plan out the wiring, and I drew a basic schematic diagram last night.[IMG] [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Costs so far
    ITEM.............................................. ..........................COST.................... ..................TOTAL
    2- UB121000 12V 100Ah batteries..............................$169.99 each............................$339.98
    1- Inverter 1000W (peak 1500W) pure sine wave..........$140.00............................. ......$140.00
    1- Charge Controller 12V 20A.....................................$14.03.... ..........…......................$14.03
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............TOTAL. $494.01

may be in trouble

Might suggest fans in the right places, if the power allows

Yes, thanks Mr. K, I forgot to mention the 2 fans I already had. I will cut ventilation holes behind the inverter for the 2 fans at its rear, and then see where the most heat is being generated and put a fan at that location. The same with the fuses, I keep moving things around to find the best location, and then I will wire in the fuse in a place where it fits the best.

[IMG][/IMG]

finally pooped
    So, are you going to wire a trip switch into the system so that it will kick on only when the main power is down? A lot of places require it so their workers are protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes