Thread: Potable Solar powered refrigerator and solar powered ice making

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    finally pooped
    If you ran your lights off of a different panel than your main appliances you wouldn't need an inverter for the LED's. Almost anything that doesn't have a spinning motor is run off of DC rather than AC. From what I have read though, DC will generate MUCH more loss through the wires than running AC does but unless you are transferring it to a second building, the losses should be minimal. Even if you do, using a 24 volt system at the bank and then stepping it down with resistors should make up for it and also create less of a loss than the 12 volt system would over distance.

I'm absolutely devouring this book I picked up. It goes way more in depth than I thought I was ready for but I can make the links in my head with minimal searching online. This book is supposed to be an electricians reference to solar power I assume because it makes the assumption that you have a base knowledge of how "normal" power works. The only basis I have off our normal power system is because of the research I did on Tesla vs. Edison and the original "power wars". (pun intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

may be in trouble

Chief, for the 24 volt setup, where in circuit do the stepdown resistors go? At the battery? at the point of use? Midcircuit someplace?