Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potable Solar powered refrigerator and solar powered ice making

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

Potable Solar powered refrigerator and solar powered ice making

Solar powered ice makers, it sounds too good to be true. But I've been looking into newer, smaller ice makers that use less power to run, and while it will be costly, I think it's now time for me to try it. I tried using a peltier device to keep a small cooler cold for emergencies, (like insulin and beer) but shelved that idea for now because I want to be able to cool a lot more than what its properties would allow. If you don't know what a peltier device is, don't feel bad, most people don't, look it up on YouTube as I think they are worth knowing about. But I'm leaning towards a portable battery bank with 2-100Ah batteries to share the load, that can be recharged by solar panels or AC from the grid, with a charge controller. But for power output, I want to be able to use AC for things like lights or a small refrigerator or freezer, and DC to power things like cell phones, tablets, and DC lights as they use such low power. But I didn't want to keep it locked in my garage tied into my home AC system. I wanted to be able to take it where I wanted to. I had been drawing schematics for a few yrs off and on, but when I found out Pintrest wasn't just about foofy pillows for couches, I also found others had been making these solar generators for a while, but still small scale. Goal Zero has a 1250W battery and solar charger pack out, but they want $2500-4000. And still only one battery. I have almost everything I need to construct this beast. Mainly, the big cost is still the 2 batteries, which will run between $400-700, depending on what kind of a deal I can get. But after all of this mumboo jumboo of words here, has anyone else here bought or made one, and is anyone else interested in how I make (or blow up) one?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    The Pelt device is inefficient, did you check that out by chance? They consume a lot of power for not much cold, and to get them cold enough too cool a volume space will be a LOT of power.

However with the efficiency of the newer conventional fridges, and the efficiency of current inverters... it *may* be more better to look at that route.

Lastly, a propane/12vdc/120vac fridge such as is found in an arrr veee may be best suited, on LPG a 20lb tank should like a good long while.

Let google be your friend.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Yes, I new what the peltier device was and how it worked quite well. But solar power to charge a battery is free in the long run, so the inefficiency compared to other options didn't matter. It was just going to be too small. And you may be right about propane, but it must be replaced at who knows how much in the future? I know what a panel costs now, and I know what a battery costs now. Things do wear out and need to be replaced no matter what, but I know the sun should still be free for a few more years. Plus trying to take a 20 gal. tank of propane into a large event may just raise a few red flags, where as you can just open the case to show its just battery's. This is why I want to keep it safe, portable, and powerful.

I knew, that you knew, what Pelt devices were, that was never in question... I wanted to play devil's advocate on the options.

Your update makes a lot of sense! In the LONG RUN, it would be a better choice. Now, keep us updated on your progress!!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

For the Love of Cats

Dude... seriously??? Zeer Pot!

google it!!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    I have been thinking about you the solar generator for my ranch up north, I would like something portable. Years ago before the main house burned up we had a trash burner on the propane stove for heat, a propane refrigerator w/freezer. We even had propane lights too. Propane is great when it comes to refrigeration, I ran the numbers and I figure the propane refrigerator would use about 200 gallons a year if run full-time.

Now solar it free once you put out the money for the initial infrastructure. Now Domeguy you said you purchased two batteries, why only two, weight? How many and what size panels? What type of inverter?

I want a system I can take put up and down when I visit the ranch. If I left it would I am sure one of the dope growers in the area would steal it. I have a small trailer I was thinking about installing it in so I set it up easy. I could easily put four or more batteries in it to increase the storage. I wasn't sure how many panels I would have to have but if I could have some way to fold them out I figure it would be quick set up. What do you think?
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

Oh... and we all use propane fridges in our remote cabins. they're awesome!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dome correct me if Im wrong, but Im thinking he wants something with zero reliance where as propane will need to be replenished once ran out.

The down side of batteries... they will eventually need to be replaced too.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Not necessarily zero tolerance, but that would be the perfect goal. From time to time, I like to go camping with as little as possible, to be able to enjoy nature, pure and simple. But on the other hand, I'm a 55 yr old man with some medical problems who wouldn't mind a good 5 star resort with all its creature comforts. I am trying to find a fine balance. This year I am attending the Bonnaroo music festival in Manchester, TN. It's about an hr. drive. Last year was my first time ever doing anything like this, as its WAY outside my comfort zone. I had a miserable time in the heat for 5 days, didn't fully attend any of the bands, and didn't participate at all. This year I want to do things differently. I will be taking my 2500W generator and portable AC again. But the generator was somewhat loud, and to keep my food cold cost me $15-20 in ice per day. This year since I'm volunteering again, it's free again, but this yr, I have to be there from Sunday-Sunday, so ice will cost $110-140. I could by a new ice machine for that price if only I could power it. No electricity in the middle of the field, and running the generator 24hrs a day isn't an option either. So, this would be the perfect time to build what I have been wanting to build for years, a solar powered system that powers more than a phone and a light, and would be portable. I could use it at the house also to power the freezer in the garage, and extra backup for when the power is off. I made a lot of friends last year as we all sat around my AC, and want to do the same this year. Right now, this system is still in the planning stage. I have some components already, but I have NOT purchased the batteries yet, as I have to get permission from the missus to purchase the batteries. Right now I am planning two due to keeping it portable, (I was thinking of using something I already have that is like a 2 wheel dolly) but may switch to a pneumatic wheeled wagon with 3-4 batteries, but then the cost goes up. I have a 400w inverter, but will go larger, and depending what is on sale when I buy the panels, 400-600w, maybe more. This will power an ice making machine, and still be portable. At a time in the future, I will have a drastic increase in funds and plan on building a 3000-4000w system on a trailer and donate it to the local sheriff department, but that kind of system, although portable, would be too big for what I plan for now. Realist, while I was at the Solar Institute in Florida, they had one of these trailers parked out in front of the school. I think this is what you are looking for.

[IMG][/IMG]