Thread: Commentary on this power supply?

may be in trouble

Commentary on this power supply?

Specs:

S-350-12

30 amps 33 amp peak

15.5 VDC

Actual voltage adjustment on this unit is 9.5 to 15.5 VDC

Input 120/240 VAC

$50.00

This looks like a winner that WON'T bust the bank. Only problem is that I have to wire in PowerPoles, none built in. But if that is the ONLY problem, can live with it.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I have never heard of it, or seen one, but I did look it up. Amazon gives it 4.6/5, Eham gives it a 4/5, and others write about it being nothing special due to things such as non dedicated power poles, but over all the like it. Looks like you did alright. Just be careful about the possibility of wires touching in the front and shorting out. And remember DC current will arch a lot more than AC when connecting or disconnecting with the power still on.

Wow. Compared to what I normally use for a 30A 12V power supply, this is a game changer

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ps/astron.html

Let us know how it works

I'll most likely shit myself

Never saw this one before. Looks ok as best I can tell. Great price for sure.
    I have used nothing other than the An
    Lincoln DMV 330 for a long time now. The thing that proved that one to me was the circuit that protects the output. Most power supplies don't have that. I'd have to look at the schmatic.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Go for it! Price is good for a 30a PS. I usually run everything at 13.8vdc.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

13.8V seems to be a base and mobile standard... I don't get how folks are running on marine or car batteries though, as they are rated at 12V.

As to touching, there is apparently a slide over the top of the connection screws. That, and a bottle of Plasti=Dip or Liquid Electrical tape will be in play when I install, if I use this particular p/s. Best of all, there is a RS HTX-10 HF rig over on the 'bay I will be trying for, and its 6 amps. The 2m rig I have is rated at 11, so with Anderson's version of a powerpole powerstrip, I can run both rigs off of the one same p/s.

Most electrical devices have a range of voltages they will operate correctly at - usually somewhere between 11 and 14 volts more or less. A car battery has a nominal 6 cells and 12 v but the actual open cell voltage of the battery is 12.6 volts. To charge that batter, it takes a bit more voltage so the electrical system actually runs at around 13.8 volts....