Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Non-Power Tools You Need for Survival

I'll most likely shit myself

I found a bench with a grinding wheel mounted that was foot powered at an antique store. It was $125. I passed on it but it's been there for a year or so cause I've seen it twice.

My stepdaughter has a grinder that is pulley driven. Right now he has it belted to a motor, but wouldn't be hard to swap to something manual.

finally pooped
    I kind of want to look into some form of inertia driven system once I move into a permanent house. Think of a one ton stone wheel driving an overhead shaft that's started with a bicycle system (low geared). I saw a similar system in one of the old machining workshops that was run off of a tractor engine outside the building. It used big wide belts to power whatever pieces they needed at the time and then could be shut off when not needed.

There are tons of ways our elders lived without the convenience of electricity.

On the other hand, I only have about half of the tools listed. I really want to get all of them but I want to spend the money on getting really nice ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

James, I was at Lehmans last Saturday and they had a static display of a pulley and belt system that most likely was powered by a water wheel. There was enough pulleys, you could have powered a full shop at the same time. I would love to have that in a shop with a good year round location to power it.
    They also had a good deal on hand tools. A couple I would love to have was a two man cross cut saw, with or without handles. And a one man rip saw for sawing trees into lumber. All brand new with German metal. Very nice.

Do you have a robot?
    I once went on a call where the grandfather had died years prior and the family had just closed it up. When we went in it was like a time machine. It had a pulley system with belts which were about four to six inches wide and ran several pieces of equipment. I was told they were promised to on of the family members. He had originally run by one of those large steam engines. The newspapers on the work bench were about 20 years old so I do not know if all of it was a hobby or a profession.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ive got 10/10 and more. BUT... I am seriously in the market for a economical Hit & Miss engine antique style or a steam engine (Not a HUGE one) ... If anyone has any leads, I would love to hear about them!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

We see those every now and then around here. Mostly at antique or pioneer day type events. They will have them on display and sale one from time to time.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Ive got 10/10 and more. BUT... I am seriously in the market for a economical Hit & Miss engine antique style or a steam engine (Not a HUGE one) ... If anyone has any leads, I would love to hear about them!
    That is on my list of things I want to get someday.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post

had a couple of h & m engnes on a local farm auction last fall - they sell well and don't come cheap $$$$$ ....

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Got 8/10 mising the Scythe and the Bike Pump. Making a foot powered grind stone would not be that tough. I remember my Oma's sewing machine. It would take some time but I would be able to create it.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Do you have a robot?
    Regarding the steam engines, there are groups out there which rebuild and show those things. YOu might check to see if there is one in your area. I would imagine if you were to make a couple of meetings that someone would come up with one. By then you would probably find out what the going price would be and have a bunch of people you could use as a resources.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.