Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am looking for a good open carry holster

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am looking for a good open carry holster

I want a leather with a thumb release. I am having a hard time finding one, almost all of them have the middle finger release, but I don't like those. Outside the waist band, I have a concealed holster already. Any help is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like this, but with automatic retention.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/desantis...d-holster.html
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I found one, I like this one, but if you know of any others please let me know.

http://www.desantisholster.com/CHEK-MATE

For the Love of Cats

sorry, no experience here... but I have to say I love the look of that second one!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

That is the one I like so far.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Be specific of the weapon and Ill see how I can help friend.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

finally pooped
    I doubt you will find many like that unless they stick out from your side really far. The majority of the americans, even gun carrying ones, are overweight so manufacturers take that into consideration that they may not be able to shove their fat thumbs in their to hit the release if their life depends on it.

Not trying to be controversial, just saying exactly how I would think of it from a manufacturing perspective. I wouldn't design anything that low profile that relies on a release on the inside edge.

That being said, I can understand exactly why you would want one and if you have the physique for it then go you. I like having a "body side" thumb break on my thigh holster because it makes it that much harder for someone to get your gun from you.

BUT that is also why I am a huge pusher of only concealed carry when possible. I was so paranoid when carrying for work because everyone could see I was carrying and exactly where and how to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Be specific of the weapon and Ill see how I can help friend.

EB
    Sig 229 for open carry, in 40 S&W

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    I doubt you will find many like that unless they stick out from your side really far. The majority of the americans, even gun carrying ones, are overweight so manufacturers take that into consideration that they may not be able to shove their fat thumbs in their to hit the release if their life depends on it.

Not trying to be controversial, just saying exactly how I would think of it from a manufacturing perspective. I wouldn't design anything that low profile that relies on a release on the inside edge.

That being said, I can understand exactly why you would want one and if you have the physique for it then go you. I like having a "body side" thumb break on my thigh holster because it makes it that much harder for someone to get your gun from you.

BUT that is also why I am a huge pusher of only concealed carry when possible. I was so paranoid when carrying for work because everyone could see I was carrying and exactly where and how to get it.
    Concealed carry has as many draw backs as open carry, the one thing that can not be argued is open carry is faster and easier to deploy. There are many holsters that use the index finger to manipulate the release, but in a tense situation the first thing you loose is fine motor skills, this is why the thumb release works better, you hit it while grabbing the gun, it also is hidden and most thieves know nothing of the release that is hidden from their view. I plan on carrying both ways. I already have the inside the waist band holster for my kahr cw-40. Which is this holster. http://www.vedderholsters.com/comforttuck/

- - - Updated - - -

I had a concealed license 15 years ago, but have let it expire and have been open carrying for at least 15 years now.

finally pooped
    I agree once again Helo, though I believe you can close that gap using quality practice. I was simply arguing that I always feel better with people never even knowing I have the gun in the first place.

In the event that something happens I don't want to be the last one to have their gun out and the only real situation I would draw is if someone else has a weapon and I don't want to draw their attention as they look for potential threats.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to be argumentative, just stating why I thinkthe type you are searching for are few and far between, and also why I prefer concealed carry. To each their own and so long as you practice the way you carry then more power to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    I agree once again Helo, though I believe you can close that gap using quality practice. I was simply arguing that I always feel better with people never even knowing I have the gun in the first place.

In the event that something happens I don't want to be the last one to have their gun out and the only real situation I would draw is if someone else has a weapon and I don't want to draw their attention as they look for potential threats.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to be argumentative, just stating why I thinkthe type you are searching for are few and far between, and also why I prefer concealed carry. To each their own and so long as you practice the way you carry then more power to you!
    I think you give crooks too much credit. Most people never even realize I am carrying a firearm. I am always conscious of what direction people are to me, if I am standing I turn so that people if possible are always on my none firearm side. I really doubt 95% of the criminals would even notice I am carrying. The few that would would probably be so organized it would be hard to engage them anyways.

I have carried both ways, and I actually prefer open carry. I already found one holster exactly like I am looking for, so I know there are more out there. Just looking to see what is available.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"