Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol Filtration with Water Filter System

I have still yet to grow a brain

Alcohol Filtration with Water Filter System

[IMG][/IMG]

Alright there has been some scientific taste testing done. A cheap Vodka was purchased. It was run through a Sports Berky Portable Water Filtration System. And this was the process that was preformed.
    1> Tasted Plain Jain unfiltered Vodka.
    Result: Neeya it is an alcohol liquid that has a rough drink taste and feel.
    2> Added it to the Portable Water Filtration System. Enuf to give a definite buz.
    Result: The initial taste was a smooth alcohol tasting liquid. It was not ruff like the original sip.

The beverage will not be consumed until the end of the work day. I may have to answer phone calls or such.

Initial finding: It makes a better tasting Vodka. This will need to be tested on Home made wine, beer and other liquid delights.

I will write up a final finding about 5:30 MST after the beverage has been finished.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

finally pooped
    I would bet that you won't be as happy with the wine and beer run through it. I would also suggest you disassemble and clean it before switching beverages.

The reason I think you won't be as happy is because the wine and beer get their flavor from the residual things floating in them. Vodka is a clear alcohol that is "filtered" by distillation only and then usually bottled. Any drink that has a process besides that done to it will lose its distinct taste.

Take something like Tennessee whiskeys. Yes, they distill it to refine the alcohol from the barley/wheat/whatever, but it may only be one or two distillations and then it is allowed to age in an oak barrel. That's why you can get the clear liquors in such higher alcohol percentages than anything with "color" to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

CC Gray Panther
    DAMN THE FILTRATION !!! Drink my hearty warriors for tomorrow may never see the sun rise!! If there are chewy life forms in our liquor then all that means is we have a full course meal !!

Do you have a robot?
    Fresh horses and whiskey for my men.............not filtered, sometimes the harshness is good.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

All you can filter out is the flavor....Light alcohols (like ethanol) are 100% miscible in water...

But Vodka does not have a flavor that is the reason why it is clear. Did I misunderstand your position Fidel MD? The more higher caliber Vodka's goes through multiple filtering was my position.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    But Vodka does not have a flavor that is the reason why it is clear. Did I misunderstand your position Fidel MD? The more higher caliber Vodka's goes through multiple filtering was my position.
    Vodka has many different components of it's flavor (and yes, it has flavor-which is why cheap vodka and expensive vodka taste different). You can filter cheap vodka through a carbon block filter and make it taste like the more expensive versions, (Mythbusters did that, I believe)...but at the end of the day you can't filter the alcohol out of the water.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Vodka has many different components of it's flavor (and yes, it has flavor-which is why cheap vodka and expensive vodka taste different). You can filter cheap vodka through a carbon block filter and make it taste like the more expensive versions, (Mythbusters did that, I believe)...but at the end of the day you can't filter the alcohol out of the water.

What in tarnation! Who would wanna filter out the alcohol? Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

finally pooped
    VODIN!!! I need results!! did you try this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Sorry jamesneuen,

It filters the flavor out as well. That is why I was talking about Vodka. Cheap Vodka has a nasty flavor. Expensive Vodka doesnt. So when I filtered it a few times the bad Vodka taste was removed. It does it with Ice Tea as well you lose the flavor and just have the water taste.

Have not tried filtering the Tennessee whiskeys but it goes with the process that the color and flavor will be removed. You should just have a filtered basic alcohol.