Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about pressure canning

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Hmm I need to stand strong on a single weight for the altitude you can at. My house is at 5957 feet and if canning in an area which is over 2,000 feet above sea level, process at 15 pounds of pressure only, no matter what the recipe calls for. And I have been eating Chile Pork Verde that was canned on 8/11/2014. This is my safe point did I misstate my position?
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

it isn't so much what the recipe calls for, as the recipe doesn't know where you are. In your canner's instructions it should have an altitude chart, and instructions on how to adjust.

Like this:

So if you have different sized weights, the first column tells you what you need. If you have a dial gauge, the second column tells you.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    We have a newer pressure cooker which has just two settings. I do have a couple of old presto cookers from my mom but we never found the weights. I didn't remember her ever having more than one weight. Vodin it would make sense in what you are saying since we were always at one location. We do have a large pressure cooker which we use but it has a gauge.

So while we are on the subject has anyone found any safety issues using the older weight related pressure cookers. When my mom passes I grabbed the old pressure cookers but my sister told me they may be unsafe. Does anyone know how to determine if they are safe. Ya I know if they blow up they were not safe but I would like to find out without having to remodel the kitchen....
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    it isn't so much what the recipe calls for, as the recipe doesn't know where you are. In your canner's instructions it should have an altitude chart, and instructions on how to adjust.

Like this:

So if you have different sized weights, the first column tells you what you need. If you have a dial gauge, the second column tells you.
    Problem with that chart is it says to use 10 lbs for 0-1000. All of my books tell me to can most things at 15 lbs, but not all. I think at sea level or close to it, you have to go by the chart in the books. That is what I have been doing for many years now and not had any issues.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    Ours says the number one setting is for most things and it is 15 lbs. too
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Ours says the number one setting is for most things and it is 15 lbs. too
    Yeah. Most things, but not all. I just want to make sure no one just uses 15 psi because we said so here and it not be right for the food they are canning.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I am high altitude (1 mile high) I must use 15PSI for safe caning practices.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    I am high altitude (1 mile high) I must use 15PSI for safe caning practices.
    I agree with you, but I don't want someone that is just starting canning to think his situation is the same as yours. If someone is new to canning they need to look at their specific situation and can accordingly. Like I said above, at my location I don't can everything at 15 psi, you do.

Walking on Sunshine

I'm not sure if they still do this free but your County Extension office may be able to test the pressure cookers for you safely. You can contact the manufacturers for parts or go to Amazon. Just make sure you have a good rubber ring on the ones that have it. they are usually the first thing to go on pressure cookers, they dry out. I'm hoping to get an American Pressure canner myself.

For the Love of Cats

^
    That's what I have. next time I am down South, I am going to pick up a couple spare gaskets.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.