Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about pressure canning

Do you have a robot?
    Katrina thanks for the post. Isn't the American the one which does not use a gasket? I want to get a large one for large batches of canning jars I want to do this year. I will have to check on the county extension to see about the testing. However knowing our county they probably couldn't be bothered, still it doesn't hurt to ask.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

Interesting... I had to google that and I stand corrected. I do not have an American, I have a Presto.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/pres.../0000000012088
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have the one from walmart, and have had it for at least 6 years. The gasket is still in perfect shape. I do not keep it on the lid when it is stored, I keep it inside the container.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks all for your posts. There is quite a bit I need to learn. I know I will need to do some reading. I certainly plan to do a test run before I really begin to do my canning.

Do you have a robot?
    You know I have a tendency to read into things too much. Sometimes I just have to do. It is that first step which is hard.

Walking on Sunshine

Yes, the American Canner has a screw down lid, no gasket. It looks very sturdy AND it's made in America. You will have to run a bit of oil along the edge of the pot when you use it. They are on Amazon and run about $170.00-$270.00 depending on the size. I have a glass/flat top stove and the instructions say can't use the canners on them. DH is extremely leery about using a canner on it so I have my eye on a commercial grade cast iron hot plate but need to save a bit more before I can get it. Reviews on the hot plate say it works great for pressure canners.

Do you have a robot?
    Have you considered one of the camp chef stoves. They work very well and in a pinch you can cook on them outside.

Once again, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I located a manual online for the particular model we have and have downloaded and printed it. Searching Amazon, I found a source for the weights and gasket. I assume the gasket is shot as it has not been used in over 10 years and feels hard. According to the manual there should have been 2 racks for this caner but only 1 was inside. I will either fashion something or buy one somewhere.

My next thing to do after replacing the gasket is try to find a couple of replacement handles. I am not sure if they are bakelite or what but two of the four handles are badly cracked. As soon as I have things ready, I will make a test run and report back!

Do you have a robot?
    Our old one had wood handles which would be easy to make since they were only about six inches long. If yours are like that all you need is a long drill bit and a couple pieces of wood. Shape them down and oil them, you will be good to go. When ordering the gaskets might as well order others. I replace our when every they are not pliable any more.