Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about canning jars?

Helomech, never thought about the issue of something unsealing and then possibly resealing.

Picked up some 1/2 pint jars today, also at our tiny, local Ace. The price was actually cents cheaper than Amazon. Ordered the Ball Canning Book from Amazon.

When our peaches hit, they come in fast and all will ripen within a week. We have to be ready for them. Fortunately the apricots, which are later do not ripen all at once for some reason.

Well, I have been busy and away from this site for a while, thought I would bring you up to date.

My peach tree just went bonkers this year. So far I have canned 6 pints of peaches and made about 8 pints of peach jam. The reason I saw "about" is that we found some smaller jars and I put some in those, I think maybe they are 4 oz size. Unfortunately, one of the local brown bears decided to try to climb the tree and did MAJOR damage to limbs. We are still harvesting, mostly from the limbs Mr or Ms. Bruin broke and have frozen about 3 gallons of peaches, some sliced and ready for my wife's great peach cobbler, some will be used for more jam.

My apricots seemed to all ripen at once and the birds and squirrels discovered them. Also the bear made an attempt at the tree, breaking one of the limbs off. We stripped it totally, not enough fruit to save, all consumed fresh.

The bear decided to dig a hole all around my cucumbers and destroyed many young plants, though I still have some. I have seen the bear twice, it is large for a California brown bear. A true adult stands about 4 feet tall on all fours. Don't know the gender because I am not getting that close to check it out!

My green beans are doing well, we have been harvesting the first planting daily, eating some, giving some to our kids families and froze a bit. Not enough to bother canning.

Cayenne and jalapeno peppers doing well and providing an abundant harvest and some heat to meals!

The first tomatoes should be ready in a day or two! Butternut squash is starting to set small fruit. Zuchini should be giving us goodies in a week or so.

For the Love of Cats

no bear season down there? They are made of meat you know! and they come wrapped up in a nice rug to boot!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Sniper, tell me about it! However we are really in the suburbs. Other than this year, the bears are not a major problem. We think this is the same bear as in this video, shot several years ago, but only posted a bit over a year ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=82sAKMoTRvs

The bigger problem is the large number of coyotes in our area. I am still thinking of a 55grn .223 loaded down to minimum to take them out. However, I still fear penetrating the brick walls, through someone's yard and then into their home, even on a "soft" load.

Laatest installment on our canning odyssey.

Yesterday I canned two more batches of peach jam. Used 2 different recipes and my daughter who came by, the wife and I all favored the same one, so I think I will run with that one. I have no idea what I did with the one I used back in June! One issue I found is that using frozen peaches seems to require the addition of more pectin to get the jam to jell.

Pickles will be the next itme to see jars at our place! Stand by.

Next up will be some jalapeno/mint jelly!

For the Love of Cats

How about posting up some of these recipes?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.