Thread: Go-Box update

Bacon saver

Go-Box update

OK sports fans, here's the skinny. So far I have been operating weekly on 2 meters since OCT. Running strictly off the 12vdc battery you saw in the pictures posted in my previous thread. My goal here was getting this group together as a functioning net, teach them how to program (by hand)and use their radios, etc. In the process of course I want to play with my own gear right? Well a "cross band repeater" was what I was needing to get someone "out of the holler" and on to the net and talking to everyone.

YEAH OK SO GET TO YOUR POINT

OK, I was doing a test with two other stations, one on 2m, one 70cm, and me on 70cm hand held so I could talk through the box. Well the first two checks went fine ( I was in the house, monitor box)but there was a weird squelch when the 70cm station finished transmission, I had to wait it out before I could TX. So I went outside to see if this made a difference, nope, so this happened a couple of times. Then I lost one contact then lost both, went back inside and everything was DRT dead right there.................

OK, this is what I found, power into the battery booster and none out, removed said BB and found blown fuse, replaced fuse. OP test UNSAT, blew second fuse.........called manufacturer, techy said, "send it in sounds like blown diode or transistor" .............No charge (shipping of course to get it there) under warranty.

So I by passed Battery booster and set up again for cross band repeater operation and uhhhhhh, hmmmm?
    OP test SAT, no static, no weird squelch.

I once met a guy a few years back, big feller, had a beard. Knows a lot about radios, taught me quite a bit when I was starting out, I know I hounded him with all sorts of questions but he put up with me. But he did say one thing that I'll always remember, BUT I OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T LISTEN .................."MFJ......Muther Fuckin Junk" as quoted by Elmer Bacpacker at the first Tenn "Grip-n-Grin"

More to follow.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I'll most likely shit myself

MFJ u gotta love it.

Never fear I learned my lesson the hardware tooooo. Sounds like a good test over all. Being able to cross band repeat is the cars meow (sorry Sniper). It can get you past some bad conditions/situations sometimes.

Bacon saver

Still waiting on MFJ for that shit to come back................crickets.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    MFJ u gotta love it.

Never fear I learned my lesson the hardware tooooo. Sounds like a good test over all. Being able to cross band repeat is the cars meow (sorry Sniper). It can get you past some bad conditions/situations sometimes.
    I just reread my previous post. I hope to god that was auto spell on my phone. Makes less than zero sense otherwise. I'll try again.

Never fear I learned my lesson the hard way too. Sounds like a good test over all. Being able to cross band repeat is the cats meow (sorry Sniper). It can get you past some bad conditions/situations sometimes

The only decent MJF gear I have ever seen is a SWR meter/analyzer they make. I know several folks who have those and never heard of any issues with them.