Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with equipment

Bacon saver

OK, I got a break.....what a mess around here. Anyway, here's what I have been running and why.
    FT-60 was my first, it broke my cherry. Still have it, great unit. I have it set up to work on one of my rigs with the flat panel antenna that I made.

FT-857d expensive....but it's the smallest HF/VHF/UHF and produces up to 100W! This was my first base/mobile unit, need an auto tuner if you really want to kick this thing but you can run it with out it. This one will do the work of a base station, hey I talked to Amsterdam Island..........whoa, that was scary. Really cool and PORTABLE!

http://www.gigaparts.com/Yaesu-FT-857D.html

Then I shifted to these:

Quansheng TG-UV2 I really like these because they are "unrestricted", meaning it covers the WHOLE band not just the amateur freqs. rugged, reliable, easy to program, cheaper than the name brands. Many items to list, look it up you might like it. You can order it through Amazon Prime for $79....... DO NOT ORDER IT FROM CHINA! if it takes a shit you're ass out for shipping and time, etc. Check link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

TYT-TH-9800 50W/40W Full Quad Band Mobile Radio, Cross Band Repeater mode, this has been working quite well the last few weeks. I've been using this radio every week for the last 9 months and have had no issues. easy to program. I haven't tested the HF bands yet.
    10M ( 29Mhz ), 6M ( 52Mhz ), 2M ( 146Mhz ) & 70cm ( 440Mhz ) Bands, FM, 50W/40W
    Receives: (AM mode selectable on VHF receive frequencies for Air Band reception)

Currently $206 on Amazon great deal! Great radio for the buck, AGAIN IT'S UNRESTRICTED you can program the marine band freqs. in there if you want on both of these radio for those of you who are near the surf.

http://www.amazon.com/TYT-TYT-TH-980...ilpage_o06_s00

Just my roll-a-quarters, but if your looking to "expand" your horizons and stay on the cheep. I have had some great success with those two units.......so far. OH and I use the the Quanshengs pretty much, everyday just listening to talk radio and the freak station up on the mountain.......sad huh?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

On the programming thing, I have always steered away from programming radios through a computer if I can help it. Some radios you don't have a choice, like Motorola sabers.

*NOTE* The TYT needs to be "tweeked" by computer so you can talk using the mike while the cross band repeater is in use.

But when it comes to manually pushing those buttons, programing a repeater freq. the PL tone, offset, etc. All those things are essential for you to learn how to do with out your laptop. DO NOT RELY ON COMPUTERS TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU! You need to be able to do this shit in the field on the fly, know your gear, "Love your Gear, It'll Love you Back"

Bacon saver

By the way here is the site with all the NAV freqs. For those that have the capability and are in range of the waterways give them a shot and please tell me your results. I'll put this in a separate thread. OUT!

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtVhf

Bacon saver

Crickets.................