Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with equipment

Do you have a robot?

Need Help with equipment

Okay guys it is time I got off my ass and get some equipment. I went over to one of the guys in our local radio club who volunteered to help out and he gave me some suggestions. I have found radios are like guns there are lots of opinions and you need to know what you want them for. So here goes. I want at least one preferably two handheld radios and they have to be rugged. I want a mobile to run in my truck and also have one as a base station. I understand I need a power supply for the base. I am still up in the air about an antenna.

For the handheld I was looking at a Yaesu FT-60R
    Mobile Kenwood D710G
    Power supply Alinco DM-330MV

I want to put together a mobile which I can run off a battery. I understand I can run the Kenwood this way but I am looking at an additional mobile this way I can take it in my wife's car and leave the truck with one.

What do you think? I figure I have a bunch of guns of the same make and caliber why not the same goes for radios. I understand the cost and was budgeting $1,000 just to get started. Thanks for your impute. By the way if you think I am bat shit crazy I would like to hear that too.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I'll most likely shit myself

You just described my basic station. I have a pair of FT60s. Milspec rigs so they can handle a little abuse. Just find some high gain antennas for them and spare battery packs.
    i
    I have a couple of Kenwood D700s, which is the older model preceding the 710. Solid rigs and have never had a problem with them. I used the APRS function a lot with our EmComm group, but would turn it off yesterday in a SHTF scenario. The cross band repeat function is well worth learning to use. BWRR just had a post about that.
    the Alinco power supply is the only one I like right now. Well built and has protection in the output to help protect your radio.
    You got good taste in radios my friend.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    The only bit of information I can provide is, It is always best to have spares of the same model for parts. Other than that I am following what suggestions are.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Do you have a robot?
    For my portables after talking to some people I may change.
    I may pick up the Yaesu portables but I am also look at picking up some Kenwood HT or MT 1000s which I might have access to. I am not worried about programming them because I have a guy at my office who can do it and show me how. I may also look at the Motorolas too. The thing about the Kenwoods and Motorolas is they are really tough. I have used them in public service for years I just need some second opinions on them from a Ham standpoint first.

may be in trouble

Going in for my General in a few hours.

Duplicate where possible. If you are enough of a solder jock, get the schematics and likely needed to be replaced parts.

I figured a couple of FT60s, spare battery sets, a spare RS HTX 10, 50' of -8X, half wave dipole, deepcycle battery, 750w inverter, and two Thunderbolt briefcase solar panels with controller, each item sealed in bubblewrap, will fill a galvanized trashcan with room to spare. XHD duty jumper cable clamp on the lid, other end to ground, and voila! For-cheap faraday cage.

I'll most likely shit myself

Kenwood makes go9d gear. I have an HT and a couple of mobile rigs. Motorola has made commercial equipment t for years. Just not familiar with them for ham use.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I know nothing. I went to a guy's house this week that had a 125' tower with I'm pretty sure EVERY doohickey available on it, and a radio shack at the base that looked like a radio store.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ill vote for the FT-60 also, buy extra batteries and chargers to keep them topped off.. use CHRIP to program them, make sure they are MARS/CAP modded then you will have extra wiggle room for comms out of band in the event of an emergency.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do you have a robot?
    Regarding the Motorola I have a guy I work with who can make a few alterations an program in the Ham channels.

EB since I am new I haven't a clue what MAR/CAP is can you explain please? Thanks

may be in trouble

MARS Military Amateur Radio Service

ARES Amateur Radio Emergency Service

CAP Civil Air Patrol

RACES Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service
    NOTE: RACES is closer to FEMA and technically the only HAMS allowed to operate if the President opens up the War Powers Act.